Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
See my reply #8062 to Brett. In your case, you will have at least three "deferred" options (meaning actions you can take that are not taxable events) as follows:

1. Leave your money where it is.
2. Open a Rollover iRA account at the brokerage, bank, etc. of your choice.
3. Roll your money out of your old employer into new employer 401(k) plan.

#3 above will be dependent on whether or not your new 401(k) plan accepts rollovers --- most do but not all; it is a plan choice. Secondly, many 401(k) plans, particularly those that have matching also have a waiting period to get in --- 6 months or a year. If this is your situation, you may need to elect options #1 or #2 above until the waiting period is over and then execute #3 when eligible.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.