Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'll turn 30 in a little over a month (single, no dependents), plan to start grad school (in journalism) this June for about a year, and know I'll need to roll over my 401(k) (a fed. govt. TSP) which has about 50K in it. Any advice on what kind of IRA I should roll it over into?

Also I'm wondering whether I should convert it into a Roth. Any conversion fees would need to come out of the 401(k) amount because I want to preserve the emergency fund I have. Don't know if it would be better to keep the 50 K un-Rothed for the year, and then start a new separate Roth account later (wish I'd done that earlier), and then have the 50 K roll back into an employer's 401(k) (is that how it works?) at some point.

Any advice on any of this would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks!

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.