No. of Recommendations: 2
Happy New Year, Fools!

Current wind and rain storm here in the San Francisco Bay Area. Happily, I got my grocery shopping done (Wednesdays are senior discount day) before dark. As I was leaving the shopping center the wind blew my loaded rolling grocery tote over and threatened to blow my umbrella inside out. And the lights are flickering.

I'm looking for an online bank that offers a savings account with a high interest rate and one that I can divide my account into different categories that I can name (examples: Property Tax, Homeowners Tax, Vacation, etc).

Thank you!

Best,

shirehobbit
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm looking for an online bank that offers a savings account with a high interest rate and one that I can divide my account into different categories that I can name (examples: Property Tax, Homeowners Tax, Vacation, etc).

I recently heard an ad for (I think) the Navy Federal Credit Union that allows this. Back in the day, ING did this. It's somewhat become Capital One 360 and I don't know if that is still an option.

Maybe start here : https://www.depositaccounts.com/savings/ unless you get some better info.
Back in the day, ING did this. It's somewhat become Capital One 360 and I don't know if that is still an option.

Not that I can see. (just checked my converted ING/360 account)
No. of Recommendations: 4
Current wind and rain storm here in the San Francisco Bay Area. Happily, I got my grocery shopping done (Wednesdays are senior discount day) before dark. As I was leaving the shopping center the wind blew my loaded rolling grocery tote over and threatened to blow my umbrella inside out. And the lights are flickering.

I suspect an electrical problem.

xtn

PS - Don't sacrifice interest for the ability to categorize your money. You can categorize it in a spreadsheet if you like. Or on a napkin.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question, especially in light of other answers.

But I have online savings accounts with CapOne360 and Ally Bank. Both easily let me set up various sub-accounts where I can direct money. I have categories like Charity, Emergency Fund, Vacation, Loan Payoff, etc.

Bear in mind that Federal regulations prevent you from transferring from one account to another more than six times per account per month.
No. of Recommendations: 3
You're talking about Capital One 360 (formerly ING Direct Orange). Whether you call it sub-accounts or categories, you can do exactly what you're talking about. I have an eFund, Tax Fund, Auto Fund, Vacation Fund, etc. Because 360 treats all of these as one account, you can move funds back and forth as much as you need. But because it is a money market account, you can only withdraw money up to six times per month. There is no limit on contributions into the account.

https://www.money-rates.com/advancedstrategies/money-market-...

You can find the best money market rates here:

https://www.bankrate.com/banking/savings/rates/

Fuskie
Who notes that rates may depend on the amount of money to be deposited...

-----
Ticker Guide for The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Intuit (INTU), Live Nation (LYV), CME Group (CME) and MongoDB (MDB), Trip Advisor (TRIP)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post (tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure)
Fool Code of Conduct: https://www.fool.com/legal/the-motley-fools-rules.aspx#Condu...
No. of Recommendations: 0
I concur with your P.S.
James,

Thank you for recommending Ally Bank (I just opened up an online savings with them because they have the highest rate).

shirehobbit
I had little to add to the account discussion, but do want to say: Hi Shire! Good to see you here!

ThyPeace, glad to see people coming around now and again.
I echo that. I neglected to say how happy I was to see you again.

Fuskie
Who promises he was thinking it even as he wasn't typing it...

-----
Ticker Guide for The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Intuit (INTU), Live Nation (LYV), CME Group (CME) and MongoDB (MDB), Trip Advisor (TRIP)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post (tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure)
Fool Code of Conduct: https://www.fool.com/legal/the-motley-fools-rules.aspx#Condu...
No. of Recommendations: 0
I concur with your P.S.

What about my assessment of the flickering lights? You think perhaps it was a plumbing problem?

xtn