Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
If I can only contribute $500/year into an EIRA, I don't see how I'll save enough for even the first year's tuition at an average state university. My son just turned one last week & we're looking to move the money we have for his college fund from our cash account into something a lot more "foolish". Isn't it true that I have to have something more than an EIRA?

I've been weighing the benefits of using a ROTH IRA, but am concerned because I think that vehicle should be for our retirement only. I'm leaning towards a UGMA "sheltering" some DRiP stocks (such as KO & JNJ). These support the principle of teaching investing, etc., etc. Plus, I can fund it with as much as each plan will allow, or I can afford. Or better yet, my son can fund them with as little as $10/month from his "paper route" (do they even have those anymore?).

Another thought I've recently had is paying my mother-in-law, who does not work, $2000/year for the time that she baby-sits for us & asking her to fund a Roth IRA, with my son as the beneficiary. But, then aren't I making the morbid assumption that she'll pass before he starts college? If she doesn't, she can't withdraw any of the funds for him without a penalty, right? And what tax benefit is there to me now from "paying" her.

Who knew that a simple thing like saving as much money as you can for your child would pose so many questions?
Print the post  

Announcements

Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.