Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Seems like you are inviting more cooks into the kitchen by posting the question here.
You are not allowed to transfer directly from a 401k to a ROTH. You can only transfer to a Traditional (Rollover) IRA then to a ROTH. Doing this will give you the greatest flexibility in terms of investment choices and withdrawal options.
Plus, a ROTH may not be right for you, it depends on a few factors such as your age, tax bracket, and future tax bracket.
if you go the ROTH route, you will have to pay regular income tax on the amount you put into the ROTH. With either a ROTH or Traditional IRA, you can open an account at any discount broker and invest in anything you like. (indivisual stocks, bonds, mutual funds) You can probably invest in the same mutual funds that are in your old employers Plan.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.