Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Seems lower than lately, but not enough that it seems to need an explanation.
Still more volume than any day in the week of Feb 12, for example.
(if my data are correct)

Jim
Print the post Back To Top
Seems lower than lately, but not enough that it seems to need an explanation.
Still more volume than any day in the week of Feb 12, for example.
(if my data are correct)

Jim
According to figures I get from TC2000 average volume has jumped since Feb 12 from 260 Shares to about 600, but since 3/12 it has spiked much higher 3/12, for instance, was 1700 Shares, 1100 on 3/13, 700 on 3/16, 1200 on3/17, 1500 on 3/18, 1100 on 3/19, 1200 on 3/20, then 1300 on 3/23 as Berkshire made a bottom. The A-shares have traded in 100 share lots about eight times a day on average compared to a couple a day before the pandemic. Then there where just two trade today for a total of 300 shares, This is out of pattern as volume has been increasing on down days.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Tip: Try a different data source to get A share volume counts not rounded to the nearest 100.
Nasdaq.com is an easy one.

Separately, I'm pretty sure a board lot of Berkshire A shares isn't 100 shares.
To the extent it has any meaning at all any more, it was 10 last I checked.
For example, that's the minimum size of order the NYSE used to require to enter a limit order.

The A share volume has been generally high, historically speaking, since Feb 24.
Average daily dollar volume around $226m in those 30 trading days, up from $77m in the prior 30.
Volume was especially March 9-24, averaging 1130 shares and $310m per day.
But Friday's 293 was still higher than 80% of days in the three months to Feb 21.

But that's all a bit misleading--the volume for *everything* has been spiking during this market sell-off.

Perhaps a more interesting metric is what fraction of Berkshire's total daily dollar volume has been A shares versus A+B shares.
As far as I can tell, there is no change at all. It varies a fair bit day to day, but it's still averaging around the typical 9-10%.
So, as far as I can tell, nothing unusual is going on specifically in A shares.
For example, while Friday's A share volume was lower than on other days recently, so was the B share volume: down 43% versus prior two week average.
And that itself was not anything Berkshire specific: Friday's volume for SPY was 44% lower than its prior two week average.

Jim