Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Seems to me a lattice patio cover might work for you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lattice+patio+cover&tbm=...

(That ugly URL is just a google image search on "lattice patio cover".)

The basic idea is the "cover" is wood standing on edge to provide shade while allowing some light in. Rain or snow would fall through, and wind can blow through it as long as the slats are not too close together. When you're outside, you have a pretty direct view of the sky, so you don't feel like you're completely covered. It's somewhat like being in the shade of a tree.

I would hazard a guess that since this is an elevated deck, most of the view is down, so blocking a bit of the sky isn't a big problem.

When planning this patio cover, you want to think about the direction the sun will come in. You want to run the roof slats in such a way as to block the sun at the right time of day. For a south facing view, you probably want to run them east to west. Running north to south would allow the sun to shine in the windows at mid-day, which is probably not what you want.

I'm not really answering your heat gain questions. But this would certainly keep the gain from direct sunlight down. Nothing like a bit of shade to help on that front.

--Peter
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.