Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am interested in finding out how to set up a Self-Directed IRA? Can anyone give me some hints/links or directions to find info?
Thanks, Jim
Print the post Back To Top
Any of the major discount brokerages can help you.

Try any of the following.

www.fidelity.com
www.vanguard.com
www.scwab.com
www.etrade.com

You can also set up a self directed IRA at a full service brokerage such as Merrill, Morgan Stanley Dean Witter, or Paine Webber, the fees will be higher here.
You can also try most major banks
Once your account is open, you should have the ability to buy the stocks, bonds, and mutual funds of your choice.

Bill
No. of Recommendations: 1
I am interested in finding out how to set up a Self-Directed IRA? Can anyone give me some hints/links or directions to find info?

For help in selecting a custodian, you might want to visit TMF's Discount Brokerage Center at http://www.fool.com/media/DiscountBrokerageCenter/DiscountBrokerageCenter.htm

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti
I use Suretrade. But that is just personal preference.
I was also curious about this. Linked to Natl Asso of Investment Corp (www.better-investing.org) (watch URL carefully, remember use hyphen and suffix .org)
and asked same question. I got a link to First Trust
at www.firsttrust.com (1-800-426-6242). They offer
self directed IRA at low cost.
Hope this helps.
No. of Recommendations: 1
As a "leaving" customer of Morgan Stanley, please stay with the Vanguard, T. Rowe Price companies to do your self-directed IRA. Experience has taught me that full-service brokerages do little more than soak accounts in fees/commissions/charges/12b-1 fees so they can do some slick advertising and compensate their highly overpaid salespeople.