No. of Recommendations: 0
Anybody know anything about these?

I read recently in a book that you could convert an IRA into a self-directed IRA and then use it to buy an actual piece of real estate, which you could rent out at a positive cash flow, earning money and buying a piece of real estate for your retirement. And yes, if this is a Roth IRA, all capital gains are tax free. This would be a great alternative to typical 1031 exchanges or other real estate tax shelters or deferrals.

(btw - all cash flow over 1K in 1 year must be reported for income as Unrelated Business Income, or "UBI", UNLESS any amount more than $1000 is paid toward principle in a lump sum; after the property is paid off, the income is no longer UBI, and doesn't have to be reported for income, just becomes a cash flow into your IRA.)

Sounds pretty good to me, but does anyone have any comment on this?

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.