Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am a new Fool, and this is my first post. I have read many of the investing basics and strategies, as well as many excellent message board posts, but there is something I need clarification on. I am getting ready to open a self-directed Roth IRA, and want to invest in a combination of Rule Makers, Rule Breakers, and perhaps FF. But I also learned that I should try and keep commissions under 2%, which amounts to only $40 in this case. At $12 a trade (I plan to go with Waterhouse), this obviously limits the number of companies I can buy. My questions:

1) Do I simply wait until I have enough money in the account to buy my 10-15 stocks (and just go with an S&P 500 Index Fund while I wait)?

2) How much is "enough money" for me to start buying these companies, and how many should I start with? I'm anxious to get going and don't want to wait too long. (Not looking for an exact amount, just the guidance of a ballpark figure).

3) I plan on changing my current 401k distribution so that all my money is in an S&P 500 Index Fund, but is it okay to have both my 401k and Roth IRA comprised solely of this Index Fund?

Thank you for your time.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.