No. of Recommendations: 0
How does one go about setting up a self-directed stock SEP IRA? Must it be done through a broker?
Print the post Back To Top

Not sure I understand what you mean. To do any stock trading, you obviously need a broker. A SEP-IRA is trivial to set up, and you would most likely do so through a broker. Did you have something else in mind?

Greetings, Sskestrel, and welcome. You asked:

<<How does one go about setting up a self-directed stock SEP IRA? Must it be done through a broker?>>

Well, if you're starting one from scratch, just complete your 5305 and retain it on file. Then contact the broker of your choice to establish the self-directed IRA to receive your SEP contributions.

Regards…Pixy

What is a 5305 and where can I get one?

Can any broker do this? If at some time in the future I change brokers, what happens to my SEP?

Thanks for the quick response.
Sskestrel asks:

<<What is a 5305 and where can I get one?

Can any broker do this? If at some time in the future I change brokers, what happens to my SEP?>>

Go to the IRS website at www.irs.gov and download IRS Pub 560, Retirement Plans for Small Business (SEP, Keogh and SIMPLE Plans). You'll find the form and an explanation of the SEP in there.

If you change brokers, just transfer the SEP account to the new broker. Read IRS Pub 560 and maybe things will be clearer to you.

Regards....Pixy