Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I resigned from my job on 7/31/98 to becomed a full-time "investor". I work at this all day, every day, and have probably made over 200 trades since then. I'm also now paying my own medical insurance.

Can I deduct the insurance under the self-employed deduction area...since I am very much self-employed? One issue is that I have no regular income to report as a result of these activities, only dividends and cap gains/losses, and the Turbotax worksheet doesn't allow for this.

Thanks.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
[[I resigned from my job on 7/31/98 to becomed a full-time "investor". I work at
this all day, every day, and have probably made over 200 trades since then. I'm
also now paying my own medical insurance.

Can I deduct the insurance under the self-employed deduction area...since I am
very much self-employed? One issue is that I have no regular income to report
as a result of these activities, only dividends and cap gains/losses, and the
Turbotax worksheet doesn't allow for this.]]

Most likely not. If you do what most taxpayers try, you will run your expenses under Schedule C, but treat your trades as Sch D, and then avoid the SE taxes on your gains. But since you don't have any profit in your Sch C, you can't take the SE health insurance deduction.

The "business" end of trading can get pretty tricky. You might want to check out the Fairmark tax site (http://www.fairmark.com) for an additiona discussion on taxes and trading.

TMF Taxes
Roy
Print the post Back To Top