Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My husband is about to begin working as an independent contractor, after having been working for others for years. I am trying to figure out how much to save for taxes. I know the self-employment tax is equal to twice the amount he was paying as an employee. But what about Medicare tax? As an independent contractor will he be required to pay that, too? Is it reasonable to run his hourly rate and hours through and save the amount they show for taxes (with the Social Security amount doubled)?

And all these taxes are only on his net business income, right? (He's going to be fronting travel expenses, then getting reimbursed -- I'd hate to think he has to pay Social Security and Medicare on the expense reimbursements!)

Thanks for your help!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.