Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
My new basement workshop floor is concrete (duh) but there is a big pylon strut in the middle which holds up the house on a triple carrying beam. The base of the pylon was put down much further than the floor, of course, a few feet at least. But the top is not level with the floor, it’s about 1/4 shy of level, so before I put down (vinyl) tile I need to level it out.

Unfortunately my only experience with floor leveling compound is not a happy one. A contractor used it at our last house before laying a wood floor, and feathered it out nicely and all seemed well. A year or two later there was a definite “crunching” noise every time we walked over that spot and went realized the leveling compound had cracked like a stale Saltine cracker and was being mashed further every time we put weight on it. (Floor store that installed it now out of business, happy to report, since they had no solution and didn’t really seem to care at the time.)(

Anyway, I get that it’s just “pour and mix” but I’m afraid to try to “feather” it out to the edge as there is a slope down to meet the caisson level. I’m thinking maybe I should make a thin vertical slice and have the compound “butt” up against it rather than have thin edges which could crack?

Anyone with any experience using the stuff? Advice would be appreciated.

(I have to use vinyl tile; my other option is epoxy. There are 11 doors to the room or adjacent hallway and there is not enough height for anything thicker. Plus it’s a workshop so it can’t be carpet, shouldn’t be breakable porcelain tile, etc.)
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.