Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Montgomery County MD, Northern Virginia and DC are potential new hot spots.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2020/04/08/coronavir...

Everyone is taking things a day at a time around here. The air is wonderfully clear. It's quiet. Neighbors I didn't know I had walk with their kids. The region's traditionally wretched traffic is gone. My favorite walking spots are so overcrowded I can't walk there anymore. I just heard 30% of apartment renters didn't pay their rent last week.

I go to the grocery store once a week. Been to the liquor store. Otherwise, just enjoying the spring weather and hoping my kids have jobs when this is over. Oldest son did grand rounds at Mass General about ten days ago and the doctor gave him a walkthrough about the system breaking down. Son is working from home, thank god, all clinical stuff is off for now. His wife who does ethical reviews of medical studies is also working from home and is quite busy.

Youngest son, who works in IT for a cruise line still has a job and is working from home and rather busy. His employer has told people to take their annual leave. The 401K match has been suspended. Grandchildren are out of school and probably going stir crazy.

This thing isn't going away anytime soon.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Been working from home since mid-March (DOD) and I expect this to last at least until 10 June due to the VA Governor's order.

I'm really enjoying working from home. I'm in exurbia and today while working I listened to the songbirds outside the window. Don't miss the 40 minute drive into town & back either.

There are many more folks at the park where I do my slow jog along the wooded trail. Enough that today I went to a less popular park & jogged on the paved road. I'd rather not be at this park but I'm not comfortable huffing & puffing as I pass others strolling along the narrow trail.

Stopped at the grocers yesterday and mask usage was up to about 50%. I imagine that social pressure will push it much higher in a couple of days.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Yep, a lot of mask sewing going on. We have nine people living here, counting the two in the RV, plus a cat, so the house is nearly always full of people. Son-in-law occasionally has to leave to make a delivery, and a couple of people go to Costco every ten days or so. The 7 and 5 year old are coping quite well; the 3 year old takes a lot of walks with grandpa. Not too many on the trails near here. I am remarkably unproductive, for some reason.
No. of Recommendations: 2
One thing I have discovered while all this is going on; my temperature is always sub normal. I know this happens as we age, but I haven't even hit 98 degrees once in a month. 96.5ish is the new normal. Going to get this checked out if I can ever safely see a doctor again.
No. of Recommendations: 0
same here Teddy same.
I have lost count of the days. So far my all family are safe, Even the essential ones, nurse, fireman, policeman. The ones that can work from home are. No one has lost their job. My daughter was able to score a much cheaper rent in Houston. Watching tv, saw a man from NY who said he hadn’t left his apt in a month. I know us rural, small town folks are very lucky. I got my backyard deck rebuilt and a cover put over it. It is like a big outside room.

I live near the huge beautiful Olympic Park, protected, clean and the water. Noise is almost non existent. Air quality is amazing. Stars shine bright. We had several storms roll through. Sitting on my new deck, listening to the rain, I couldn’t remember the air smelling so good.

I am having hard time staying on task. I have my garden vegetable beds ready, and have planted the first round of seeds. The dust in my house is thick. There is still things I unpacked mid March, taking up space on my bureau.

This is the first time, as a single person that I would have liked a partner to share this time. If he could dust, all the better.

We do have our own local crazies doing the freedom or die. The rest of us are afraid they will keeps us closed even longer. While theoretically we haven’t had any new cases in weeks, in our county, how would you know without testing.

I have not changed my mind about buying more stocks. We know from history the,outcome.
I live near the huge beautiful Olympic Park, protected, clean and the water. Noise is almost non existent. Air quality is amazing. Stars shine bright. We had several storms roll through. Sitting on my new deck, listening to the rain, I couldn’t remember the air smelling so good.

Color me green with envy. When I bought my current house, quiet was at the top of the list. My quest: What is the most quiet place I can get while being a reasonable distance to work & horse and having high-speed internet?

With the slightest breeze through the trees, I cannot hear traffic on the nearest highway, which is 1/2 mile away. No small feat since I work in the Virginia Beach/Norfolk, VA metropolitan area.

In the mid-80's, our ship pulled into Everett, WA for a few days. Couple of buddies & I drove down to the Olympic Park for a hike and it was just wonderful. I look forward to getting back there.
Quiet is so important. When we were looking for our house, I always stood out in the yard for a minute to listen for dogs, traffic, and planes.

We were so lucky to find this house, just north of D.C., not too far from anything, but only a block from the woods.