Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I am a retired senior citizen with a moderate middle, fixed income. I cannot afford to opt into "Moneymakers" or spend a minimum of $50,000 on a range of "good bet" stocks (wishing versus affordability).:) I also cannot see buying Amazon at $1900+ per share when I own shares of this stock in ETF indices and mutual funds. Currently, I have been hit hard by the volatility in the market during the COVID-19 pandemic. Can you simply give me a few affordable stocks that you believe would help me without significant risk? Thank you for any help.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
"without significant risk? "

No.

Howie52
There is significant risk in all stocks.

There are some municipal bonds which may be somewhat less risk and still
provide income.

As far as risk, everyone has their own view about risk. But even the old standbys -
utilities and such - there is bunches of downside risk. Scana was a southern area
utility that went belly up - bought up by Dominion at a price that was not extremely
bad - but still.

When thinking about stocks - remember Enron, Pam Am, Bethlehem Steel, GM.

If you must look for income - look at your local utilities, insurance/re-insurance
companies, some financial firms at really low prices, Verizon or AT&T

Good luck.
No. of Recommendations: 1
We have been very happy holding AT&T (symbol T) for years, among other things. It pays about 5% or more per year, in quarterly dividends, regardless (it seems) of the stock price.

Depends on what you want to achieve. I used to "play the game" in my younger days, but now we're happy to be comfortable.

Vermonter
No. of Recommendations: 3
Retired and looking for low risk?

Stick to the indexes.
No. of Recommendations: 12
Hi mhatter
From the text of your question it is obvious you are new to the markets. Asking for someone to tell you what stock you should buy will often translate into losses on your part as you have no idea why you bought the shares some stranger advised.

I'm trained to understand portfolio construction (a retired CFP), having done it for many years professionally. I do hold individual stocks but I spend an inordinate amount of time reading transcripts and analyzing financial statements...for EACH stock....and I'll get it wrong about 10% to 30% of the time, depending on market conditions.

There is no way you're going to 'get it right' other than by pure luck. If you're on a fixed household income and this is not savings you can 'play with', then you have no business...in my humble opinion.....making investments in individual stocks based on what some stranger somewhere says.

Here is my suggestion for you....

Read the Book "A Random Walk Down Wall Street" by Burton Malkiel. Published in the mid 1970s, its message is as meaningful today as it was then. Its a quick read and the book on Amazon is cheap

Read William Bernstein's book "The intelligent asset allocater". At the end of that, you'll know how to allocate among asset classes using index ETFs. It is not a difficult read although it will require a bit of work, but will be worth it in the long run.

Best wishes

BruceM