Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello All,
I was wondering what happens to the money that I will
be investing into a SEP IRA if and when I ever become non self employed. Do I have the option to roll it over into any plan that my "new" employer might offer or just keep it where it is and not contribute to it anymore? Or must I do one or the other without exceptions? Thanks.

hammill
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Hammill, and welcome. You asked:

<<I was wondering what happens to the money that I will
be investing into a SEP IRA if and when I ever become non self employed. Do I have the option to roll it over into any plan that my "new" employer might offer or just keep it where it is and not contribute to it anymore? Or must I do one or the other without exceptions? >>

A SEP-IRA is simply a name for an IRA that may accept small business employment-related contributions that exceed the $2K limit for a regular IRA. The instant those contributions reach the account, they are treated just like contributions to a regular IRA and subject to the regular IRA rules. If you leave the job that uses the SEP-IRA, that money may not be transferred to any other type of employer-provided retirement plan save a SEP-IRA. You are free, though, to move the money to another IRA should you desire to do so. Alternatively, the money can remain in the existing IRA. Just as a rose is a rose is a rose, once the SEP contribution has been made to the account that IRA is an IRA is an IRA.

Regards..Pixy
Print the post Back To Top