Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I need help. I am employed as an independent contractor to a U.S. Government Agency. Due to a quirk in the laws that govern my employment with the Agency, I am considered an employee for all purposes except those programs administered by the U.S. Government Office of Personnel Management. This effectively excludes me from participation in the U.S. Government Thrift Savings Plan. At the same time, the IRS has ruled that because I am an "employee" I may not set up my SEP, as I should have access to the U.S. Government plan. This conflict leaves me with only the $2000 IRA contribution as far as tax free investing for retirement goes. I am looking for ways to:

1. Save more of my income for retirement tax free
2. If possible, establish a SEP in order to get a definitive ruling from the IRS, and then if need be, take the to court.

Is there anyone out there with any experience in these matters who can give some advice before I go see a lawyer about this?

Thank you.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.