Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
SEPP calculation with a 2.1% reasonable rate, starting at age 53, the max withdraw comes up to just $500 per year less than what I am doing now. That's just on the tIRA, not including ROTH.

I am not surprised. I have gamed out this early retirement every which way for 10 years! :) I really, really, wanted to retire, saving max 401k and max ROTH, including the catch-up beginning age 50. Anything extra went into taxable brokerage. I lived well below my means so it's not any hardship to do the same now.

A major part of the plan was the rental house. That was the biggest barrier to retiring... housing. I had a mortgage of $1700 per month on my residence and knew that could be a deal breaker. Bought the rental house at the height of the housing bust, very cheap. It sold for over $300k before and I bought it for $115k. It has gone up in value pretty good here in California, almost doubled. For $35k all told, down and everything, I have a great return and a low cost place to live.

Don't sweat the small stuff, I guess. It's just details that don't make a lot of difference now.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.