Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
My company opened an SEP retirement account for me in July of 1997. I just checked the mutual fund stock that I have and I see that it has done 20% less than the S&P500 for over the last 3years. I need to sell this but where can I find out the rules for the SEP's. I don't know if I can just sell what I have and take a 3% loss and buy any stock I want or if there are rules I need to follow. My broker at Merrill Lynch is of no help at all. My portifolio is only work 7K but I am now ready to invest an additional 4K. HELP !!!!!!
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Greetings, VIC2DAY, and welcome. You wrote:

<<My company opened an SEP retirement account for me in July of 1997. I just checked the mutual fund stock that I have and I see that it has done 20% less than the S&P500 for over the last 3years. I need to sell this but where can I find out the rules for the SEP's. I don't know if I can just sell what I have and take a 3% loss and buy any stock I want or if there are rules I need to follow. My broker at Merrill Lynch is of no help at all. My portifolio is only work 7K but I am now ready to invest an additional 4K. HELP !!!!!! >>

Once the money is in your SEP-IRA, it may be treated as any other IRA. That means you are free to liquidate that account and move it to another IRA of your choice at any time you choose. For an overview of SEPs, see my Foolish Retirement Plan Primer at http://www.fool.com/Retirement/Retirement.htm.

Regards..Pixy
No. of Recommendations: 0
I don't know if I can just sell what I have and take a 3% loss and buy any stock I want or if there are rules I need to follow.

I started a SEP for my company back in 1999, rolling over my 401(k) from my previous employer and adding contributions with each payroll. Yes, you may sell your mutual funds (unfortunately losing 3%) and use the money to purchase individual stocks. You may not withdraw any money without penalty.

Donna