No. of Recommendations: 0
Serendipity2000:

The term "credit" is somewhat of a misnomer in the insurance industry. There are now many companies using scoring algorithms that include your credit score or scores (there are three different bureaus) as a criterion for rating and underwriting. The algorithms differ between companies and within companies by line of business. While you may be "acceptable" to company A for auto, you may be "unacceptable" for homeowners with the same company based on credit and other "risk" elements entering your score. Unfortunately, most of these "scoring" algorithms are still black boxes and held as top secret -- so you may not be able to get much information. Few of them depend on credit alone, as that would impose serious responsibilities based on the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

Widespread use of these "super secret" algorithms has increased dramatically over the past two years. It is not surprising that a company who insured you two years ago will not insure you now. TTR may have a point, one of the elements in the algorithm may be whether or not you have "hopped" for a better price recently. That would indicate that you are not the loyal customer they want. I don't know that for a fact, but it would not surprise me.

Unfortunately, beyond that, I can't offer much insight. I don't know the algorithm Travellers uses. I would recommend that you go and visit a good agent who can place you as a package (auto and homeowners together -- umbrella gets you bonus points and additional protection for just a few bucks extra per month). He/She may not place them all with the same company, but will definitely fight to get you the best deal -- and, if you don't like it, you are always free to find another agent! That is the agent's encouragement to get you the best deal he/she can.

greygreen
Print the post  

Announcements

Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.