No. of Recommendations: 122
I haven't been even the slightest bit interested in METAR or any of my investments since late October when I hit the floor with what turned out to be the first of some extremely serious heart stuff over the last month & a half.

The stuff the doctors have done to me over the last few weeks is too complicated to explain - or to understand without some sort of medical dictionary. However, I do know it is supposedly a "miracle" that I am alive and thinking rationally.

Right now, I'm trying to get rehabilitated to the point at which I can move around without a walker or a wheelchair. For a person who has always been strong, independent, coordinated and somewhat athletic, it is very traumatic to feel weak and almost helpless.

Of course, sometimes traumatic experiences can remind us what is important. DW and I have decided to re-assess our short and long-term goals, including our standard of living expectations and future work/retirement plans.

After some pretty scary personal stuff, I'm glad to again be interested in investments. Dealing with life & death situations are not much fun. Not much fun at all.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
I hope for your speedy recovery.

You've scared me to logging off & going for a brisk walk.
No. of Recommendations: 8
We are glad you're alive!
No. of Recommendations: 5
Oh, dear, serious stuff indeed!

Sorry to read about your travails. Glad to read you are coping and reassessing.

Above all, I wish you happy outcomes!
No. of Recommendations: 3
I'm so glad you are feeling better and back with us.

For a person who has always been strong, independent, coordinated and somewhat athletic, it is very traumatic to feel weak and almost helpless.

This forever puts an end to the idea of "It can't happen to me." It is a wake up call, and an unpleasant one, isn't it. Yet a time like this can have rewards, if you keep your eyes open.
No. of Recommendations: 1
It's a reminder. Life is short. Don't spend all of it being someone else's tool. Save some for yourself.

Steve
No. of Recommendations: 11
Hound,

Glad to hear you weathered the onslaught. Many times such things are not survivable.

Keep us updated about your situation and how this changes your plans.

While I have always worked hard, the older I get, the more I hear myself say "life is short", "you can't take it with you", and "eat your dessert first".

For me that really means "enjoy the fruits of your labor while you are still healthy enough to do so". The difficulty is finding that sweet balance.

Take care Bud, and give me a shout if you need to do so.

Wooly.................
Very glad you are still here, and very glad you are still here.

:-)

david fb
My goodness, notehound! I'm so sorry that you had such serious heart problems! I'm thankful that you pulled through when you had such a close call.

I have been wondering why you haven't been posting on METAR as usual. Now I feel guilty because I should have contacted you.

Sending you healing thoughts and prayers. Please relax and try to de-stress. You have many friends here so please keep us posted.
Wendy
Wow and ouch!

I was wondering recently where the Mutt and all his stories of government perfidy had gotten to.

Welcome back and take it easy.

Regards Tim
notehound,

Best wishes for a continued recovery! Please continue to put yourself and your family first!

Chris
No. of Recommendations: 4
Welcome back notehound and thank you for the reminder:

“People usually consider walking on water or in thin air a miracle. But I think the real miracle is not to walk either on water or in thin air, but to walk on earth. Every day we are engaged in a miracle which we don't even recognize: a blue sky, white clouds, green leaves, the black, curious eyes of a child -- our own two eyes. All is a miracle.”
? Thích Nh?t H?nh
No. of Recommendations: 19
Wendy,

Thanks to you and the kind souls on METAR.

Family history doesn't tell us nearly what we might think. Having family whose tickers are going strong at age 96 doesn't mean we won't be the lucky one who takes after the grandpa or uncle whose heart gave out at age 60 or even less.

Having a complete "rebuild" at age 54 is rare, but not unheard of. Being here from one moment to the next is a gift one takes for granted.

Holiday blessings on all.

;-)
"...a person who has always been strong, independent, coordinated and somewhat athletic..."

Dear 'hound':

All of those qualities will go a long way in your recovery. I've no doubt that you will recover speedily and very well, indeed!

Your well wishing Fool,
FM

P.S.: Keep us 'posted':-)
No. of Recommendations: 17
notehound

You are very correct that you never know. No male on either side of my family lived to 75 so I never took out LTC insurance because I felt I could self insure to age 75, and here I am at 82. Though I am semi-crippled with arthritis, I am not in a wheel chair, yet, and feel like I could go on for quite a while. Making it even better, I was told in a physical by Big Oil at the age of 22 that, if I lived to 35, I would probably be immobilized in a wheel chair. This meant I was black-balled by Big Oil because they shared information on physicals. In hindsight they did me a favor as I had a nice career as a Federal government geologist.

So by my standards, you are still a young man, and I wish you many happy productive years ahead of you.

brucedoe
Dear Hound,

I am glad to see you! Have a speedy recovery and... Health first!

SB
Notehound,

Welcome to the cardiac club!

On a positive note, some of us, even after quadruple bypass surgery, still lead very active lives!

Every time I get out of the shower, however, and see that scar reflected in the mirror that runs from my guggle to my zatch.... I am reminded that I really did have serious surgery and my life on this earth is not a permanent thing...

Which, when you think about it, is not a bad thing to be reminded of.

....It certainly destroys the appeal of a big plate of pasta alfredo.. that's for sure.

and nags at me to get in another fifteen minutes on the stationary bicycle.

My built in, always available but never sends me a bill.... personal trainer.
Wow! I'll be rooting for you to continue to get better!

PM
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi notehound,

I'm also wishing you a speedy recovery and a healthy and productive future!

'38Packard
Family history doesn't tell us nearly what we might think. Having family whose tickers are going strong at age 96 doesn't mean we won't be the lucky one who takes after the grandpa or uncle whose heart gave out at age 60 or even less.

True, but family tree can give insight to your odds. A Clydesdale won't win the Kentucky Derby and a thoroughbred won't pull the Budweiser Wagon.

Continued success on your recovery.

JLC
Notehound, it's great to have you back. I do hope you mend quickly. Just remember, if you look at life in a positive light, your healing will be so much faster. So laugh, laugh, laugh, and enjoy life.

Donna
No. of Recommendations: 0
Wishing that each day brings you renewed strength, brighter times and a healthier, happier you.
Love, Luck & Laughter,
Cashie
Hi Notehound,

Sheesh - I get back to the "real world" and the first two posts I read on Metar are Brucedoe's and yours.

Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery.

Regards,
Jeff
Hi notehound,

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

I have always learned from your posts -- this one has caused me to reassess my own use of time.

It is good to see you back on the board.

Best regards,

Rich