Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Seriously? You consider that a worthwhile response.

It was as serious as the question. The question 'how why in the world do our brains have so many outrageously complex capabilities that would have been of no use whatsoever to very-recent forebears?' implies that current features must be of use in and of themselves and that the ability to appreciate music is of no use whatsoever.

Recent hominids did not have anything like it that I've ever heard of.

I've heard little speculation about now-extinct hominids' ability to appreciate music. It's not obvious to me how we could have any evidence in either direction.

That's the problem with the vast majority of the materialist arguments about all this stuff. Someone throws out some vague ideas, and acts like it is a explanation of the mechanism.

It wasn't an attempt at an explanation. It was an attempt to show how flawed the question was.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.