Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Okay, here's where I'd think a little revenge is in order.

I can't believe what some foods list as their serving sizes! Since I'm on a diet, I decided that I just wanted to have something simple for dinner, something like soup.

I just looked at the box of Lipton Chicken Noodle Soup and thought I'd make a package. Reading the box, it says that it's only 80 calories and 2 grams of fat. Not bad, until you note that it says that it makes 6 servings and, get this...a serving consists of 3 tablespoons!

Gimme a break!!

Who would eat 3 Tablespoons of soup for a meal??

Something's gotta be done about this.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Print the post Back To Top
Perhaps that refers to the dry state? What gets me about serving sizes these days is soft drinks. The standard size out of a vending machine or cooler at the deli or pizza joint appears to be 20 oz. At our company that costs a dollar. Twice as much ginger ale as I want to drink, so I can either 1) go dry, 2) drink it and grow even more horizontally challenged, or 3) only drink half of it and let the other half go warm, or flat, or both.

The solution lately has been to drink tea at 2 cents a tea bag (2 cups), but I now have to go to the dentist twice as often to get my teeth scrubbed.
Who would eat 3 Tablespoons of soup for a meal??

Captain Nemo?

But then, he eats like a bird.

Sorry Tony, couldn't resist.

George
George

Aw, quit yer squawking. :-D

Raggmopp
Tony

Save yourself - don't ever look at the label on a bottle of snapple or a wine cooler !

Jacki
(who thought this thread would be about the too-large servings in restaurants !)
Speaking of soda sizes, I still wish Coke would bring back those 1/2 cans. They looked weird but it was great when you just wanted a short one. : )

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
The solution lately has been to drink tea at 2 cents a tea bag (2 cups), but I now have to go to the dentist twice as often to get my teeth scrubbed.

JABoa,

Switch to herbal teas (CTEA is my favorite company), little to no yellow teeth without the tannin. Or, go with cold, bottled water - in my case from my own (tested) well. The 1 1/2 liters goes with me everywhere.

GA
Switch to herbal teas (CTEA is my favorite company), little to no yellow teeth without the tannin.

Not me. If it ain't coffee, it's good ol' Lipton tea.

My wife ONLY drinks the herbal---darjeeling. Yechh.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Stop! You're both wrong! (Not casting any aspersions, of course.) Herbal tea is not tea and Darjeeling tea is not herbal tea. There is green tea which I do not like (but I've never experienced a Japanese tea ceremony) and there is black tea. Among black teas, Irish Breakfast is fine, Ceylon Breakfast is better, Earl Grey is for those who stick their little fingers out at teatime and Lapsang Souchong is best blended. Darjeeling is awful mild.
and there is black tea. Among black teas, Irish Breakfast is fine, Ceylon Breakfast is better

JABoa,

Love Irish Breakfast! Will have to try the Ceylon Breakfast.
Milk in tea keeps the cup from being stained - does it work the same way on teeth? (I don't know 'cause I never drink milk in my tea - just a thought.)

Best non-staining drink - sodawater with a slice of lime!

Ann

Great board Tony! : )
<<I still wish Coke would bring back those 1/2 cans.>>

Well, this won't fit on the LBYM or the health board, but I know where to get them if you REALLY want them. Just check into your local hospital. All of the soda they serve the patients is the 1/2 can size.

Dawn
What are you doing up at 3:00 am?
>>The solution lately has been to drink tea at 2 cents a tea bag (2 cups), but I now have to go to
the dentist twice as often to get my teeth scrubbed. >>

JABoa, I remember reading somewhere recently that they (who? I don't know; one of those "theys" that do this research) have found that tea is actually good for your teeth; for some abstruse reason it seems to have something in it that retards tooth decay.

mys
>>My wife ONLY drinks the herbal---darjeeling. >>

Darjeeling is NOT herbal, Tony. It's a tea from Darjeeling in India and it is a very fine tea. (One of the first kinds I remember drinking as a child, in fact -- the other I remember from childhood was Formosa Oolong.

mys (getting up to go make a cup of tea -- I think Earl Grey this time)
>>Milk in tea keeps the cup from being stained ->>

Aaaacckkkk! Milk in tea! Sacrilege! Yech! Never!

mys
Herbal tea is not tea and Darjeeling tea is not herbal tea. There is green tea which I do not like (but I've never experienced a Japanese tea ceremony) and there is black tea. Among black teas, Irish Breakfast is fine, Ceylon Breakfast is better, Earl Grey is for those who stick their little fingers out at teatime and Lapsang Souchong is best blended. Darjeeling is awful mild.

Hey, what do I know about all those.

I'll just use Lipton. : )

...when I don't have my coffee handy.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Great board Tony! : )

Ann,

You made my day!!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Well, this won't fit on the LBYM or the health board, but I know where to get them if you REALLY want them. Just check into your local hospital. All of the soda they serve the patients is the 1/2 can size.

Dawn,

The hospitals in my area all have the tiny sized bottles.

...perhaps I need to move. ;)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Darjeeling is NOT herbal, Tony. It's a tea from Darjeeling in India and it is a very fine tea. (One of the first kinds I remember drinking as a child, in fact -- the other I remember from childhood was Formosa Oolong.

I just can't get into those flavored teas. To me, tea should taste like....tea. Gimme dat Lipton double tea bag. ; )

Last year I grew lemon balm in my garden. Someone had said that it's nice to add to iced tea. My reaction was..."ehhh". I prefer just adding mint. But anyway, a friend came over and told me that lemon balm makes a great brewed tea, and she picked some, and brewed the leaves.

My reaction?....Bleccch!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

I "used" to drink tea with milk...it's the English way, pip pip, cheerio.

But now it's milkless tea for the Arubaman. : )

Of course, I must have milk in my coffee.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
mys sed:
<<<
>>>

Hmmpf. Not veddy British of you.

Cheeze
>>Of course, I must have milk in my coffee.>>

Glad to see you saw the light and stopped putting milk in your tea -- on coffee, I agree with you! Gotta have my half-and-half. (I've tried soy milk but it just doesn't work. One of these days I'll get serious about going vegan again and I'll just have to give up coffee -- sigh -- unless it's VERY good.)

mys
>>mys sed:
<<<
>>>

Hmmpf. Not veddy British of you.>>

Last time I looked, bud, I was an American. How 'bout you? ;)

mys (remembering something about tea and a harbor long ago in a colony far, far away. . . .)
on coffee, I agree with you! Gotta have my half-and-half.

Yum! Love the taste of 1/2 & 1/2 in coffee, but the calories make it rough.

How's about real cream? Now that's decadence! ; )

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

<<<
mys (remembering something about tea and a harbor long ago in a colony far, far away. . . .)
>>>

So, you don't want milk in your tea, but Boston Harbor water is fine? Why not skip all the formalities and drink Sterno?

Cheeze
Who, Like All True Wisconsinites,
Must Promote All Dairy Products
Sterno is a dairy product??

Raggmopp
Sterno is a dairy product??

Yes, because if you inhale, your brain is creamed.

Disney dan
No. of Recommendations: 2
Tony, check out the nutritional facts on a can of Pam cooking spray.

Serving size - 1/3 sec spray
Number of servings per container - 453
Calories - 0
Fat - 0 grams

What I find interesting is in a table comparing Pam to butter, it list Pam having 7 calories in a 1 second spray. My math tells me that a 1/3 sec spray would have approx. 2.33 cal per serving, not 0 as shown above.

..IF
Something bugs me about serving sizes on microwave popcorn. Do you realize that they expect 1 bag will serve THREE people? I haven't seen a bag yet that would serve two people (unless they are VERY polite "no, you have it" type people.

Dawn
>>Something bugs me about serving sizes on microwave popcorn. Do you realize that they expect
1 bag will serve THREE people? I haven't seen a bag yet that would serve two people (unless
they are VERY polite "no, you have it" type people.>>

Anybody touches my popcorn is dead. I will make you another bowl of your very own, thank you very much. (When I was young and foolish, I bought one of those cute popcorn sets that came with the megabowl for the popcorn and individual serving dishes for the guests. I soon became Foolish and just used the megabowl. I ate it all anyway.) When my husband and I ate popcorn together I'd make us each a megabowl. (We did share with the dogs though.)

mys
What I find interesting is in a table comparing Pam to butter, it list Pam having 7 calories in a 1 second spray. My math tells me that a 1/3 sec spray would have approx. 2.33 cal per serving, not 0 as shown above.

IF,

My guess is that they'd tell you that the first instant of the spray is just the propellent that comes from the can.

What I'd like to know is who can just spray for 1/3 of a second?

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Something bugs me about serving sizes on microwave popcorn. Do you realize that they expect 1 bag will serve THREE people? I haven't seen a bag yet that would serve two people (unless they are VERY polite "no, you have it" type people.

Dawn,

As with the Lipton Soups, this seems to be a widespread problem with most foods.

Heck, I'm not satisfied with 1/2 or 1 cup of cooked pasta...I want most of the box!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
No. of Recommendations: 2
My guess is that they'd tell you that the first instant of the spray is just the propellent that comes from the can.

What I'd like to know is who can just spray for 1/3 of a second?

I would assume that eventually you would run out of propellent and be left with pure oil in the can.

..IF
<The solution lately has been to drink tea at 2 cents a tea bag (2 cups), but I now have to go to the
dentist twice as often to get my teeth scrubbed. >

Try a Rota-Dent. They are sold thru dental offices.

I was once a heavy smoker and coffee/tea drinker. Went to the hygentist quarterly to keep the stains under control. $45 per trip for cleaning only.

Was given a Rota-Dent last Xmas and have been to the dentist once since using it daily. (Now a light smoker, but still heavy coffee/tea drinker.)

Cheers
Try a Rota-Dent. They are sold thru dental offices.

I was once a heavy smoker and coffee/tea drinker. Went to the hygentist quarterly to keep the stains under control. $45 per trip for cleaning only.

OH!!! Rota-Dent!

Someone had told me about this, but I thought they said, "Rota-tiller"...and, well, let's just say, those weren't the results I wanted!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
"What are you doing up at 3:00 am?"

Check out the profile, she's from California so it was only 12:05.

I'm in California too and this is the only time I can get on my son's computer with the TCI cable modem. Talk about fast! It sure beats my laptop on AOL.

Utahtea
OOOPs it was only 11:05.

Utahtea
I think I was right the first time. Any way it wasn't that late!

Utahtea
I'm in California too and this is the only time I can get on my son's computer with the TCI cable modem. Talk about fast! It sure beats my laptop on AOL.

Oh sure! You're up in the wee hours as your son sleeps...no doubt he's exhausted from carrying the groceries, putting them away, and then eating them. : )

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
"Oh sure! You're up in the wee hours as your son sleeps...no doubt he's exhausted from carrying
the groceries, putting them away, and then eating them. : )"

I am up in the wee hours waiting for him to come home on Friday and Saturday nights! He's was promoted to produce about a year ago so he doesn't carry bags for anyone but me now.

Utahtea
<<I am up in the wee hours waiting for him to come home on Friday and

Saturday nights! He's was promoted to produce about a year ago so he

doesn't carry bags for anyone but me now. >>

If you want a math problem for the wee hours, you could figure out how many calories it took for him to grow ;) My daughter was remarking that she and Skiguy weighed about the same(which may have been true 6 months ago). it turns out that he outweighs her by about 25 lbs which have been gained over about the last 4 months. Isn't it about 3500 additional calories to gain a pound ? Because of Skiguy's activity level, he probably had to consume 8000 calories a day to manage to gain the weight.

Gee, Tony, does this make you envious ;)

Jacki

Yes, RF, it's 3500 calories to gain a pound and also 3500 not consumed to lose one (sigh). Exercise: it's 300 calories a mile. Walking, jogging, running, it doesn't matter, it's just with running you get it over with faster.

I remember in the early 1980's that the long distance swimmer Diana Nyad consumed 13,000 calories a day while training for her Bahamas - Florida swim. I think cyclists in the Tour de France are similar. You can't really eat that much in a day (Skiguy notwithstanding!), you've got to consume a bunch of high-cal goop like maybe glucose dissolved in Gatorade.
<< you've got to consume a bunch of high-cal goop like maybe glucose dissolved in Gatorade. >>

So 10 oreos washed down with a Storm or Dr. Pepper a few times a day won't do it ;) ? He snacks on oatmeal(3 packets at a time). The good thing is that when I look for him, I have a great shot at finding him if I start at the kitchen ;)

Jacki

He's was promoted to produce about a year ago so he doesn't carry bags for anyone but me now.

So lettuce all rejoice with Utahtea on the promotion of her son to produce. I assume he got an increase in celery. Who knows where he will turnip in the future.

Forgive the puns. I was never like this before I encountered our illustrious Tony.

Disney Dan

>>So lettuce all rejoice with Utahtea on the promotion of her son to produce. I assume he got an
increase in celery. Who knows where he will turnip in the future.

Forgive the puns. I was never like this before I encountered our illustrious Tony.>>

If you didn't make them, Tony would think you didn't carrot all. I think it's berry nice that you apple-y his training this way. Grape things will come of this.

mys
I am up in the wee hours waiting for him to come home on Friday and Saturday nights! He's was promoted to produce about a year ago so he doesn't carry bags for anyone but me now.

Utahtea,

Now that he's in produce, does that mean that when he goes out with his friends he says to you, "Lettuce leave now...we'll see you tomato" ?

: )

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Because of Skiguy's activity level, he probably had to consume 8000 calories a day to manage to gain the weight.

Gee, Tony, does this make you envious ;)

Jacki,

Like you couldn't believe. What fun it would be to "have" to consume that many calories. Heehee...the first stop would be the closest place I could get a malted. ; )

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
So 10 oreos washed down with a Storm or Dr. Pepper a few times a day won't do it ;) ?

Jacki, I know Dr. Pepper...but what's a "Storm"? Is that a carbonated beverage? I don't think they carry it on Long Island.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Forgive the puns. I was never like this before I encountered our illustrious Tony.

Dan,

What I can't forgive is that you keep "beet-ing" me to them.

Grrrrrrrrr!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
<<I know Dr. Pepper...but what's a "Storm"? >>

It's a Pepsi product - lemon/lime with caffeine. The Denver area may have it as a market test - did you ever have Crystal Pepsi ?

Jacki
If you didn't make them, Tony would think you didn't carrot all. I think it's berry nice that you apple-y his training this way. Grape things will come of this.

Mys,

ROFL! What a great post!

...Orange you at least parsley glad I said that?

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
The Denver area may have it as a market test - did you ever have Crystal Pepsi ?

That must be the case.

I've tried Crystal Pepsi once, but didn't care for it. I would like 7-Up though, if it was just a bit less sweet.

And Jolt Cola is something that's I'll never even try.
:)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
<sigh> I just wish you could still find Jolt Cola on a regular basis. I have to make do with Surge and Mountain Dew. Don't you remember the good old days when you could stay up a whole weekend with a case of Jolt??? :)
Gool ol' JOLT!
What was the motto? "All the sugar and twice the caffeine?"

Raggmopp
Gool ol' JOLT!
What was the motto? "All the sugar and twice the caffeine?"

Nahhh, not me.

I'm wired enough without that. I'll stick to my coffee and Diet Coke, thank you very much.

Otherwise, I'd be bouncing off the walls!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
I'm wired enough without that. I'll stick to my coffee and Diet Coke, thank you very much.

Hmmm. Is Tony trying to tell us something here?

racerboy :o)

Touché Mr. Aruba-head.
Don't you remember the good old days when you could stay up a whole weekend with a case of Jolt???

Ah, brings back memories of college. Mountains of empty Jolt cans stacked around every terminal in the computer lab. "All the sugar, twice the caffeine."

Shaniqua (Computer Science major)