Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My mother passed away a few weeks ago at the age of 90. Today I got a letter from CALSTRS saying that I was going to receive a one time death benefit from her account of about 6,300. It said that the death benefit will be taxable income, unless I do a direct roll-over into an inherited IRA. CALSTRS is the California State Teachers Retirement System. To the best of my knowledge, my mother did not have an IRA or either type at the time of her death.

Can an IRA be set up for her and the money put into it, or is it just straight income to me?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.