Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 11
I just wanted to note (because the time period is referenced early in the post) that it's now been a little over 17 years since I posted this:

https://boards.fool.com/old-friends-17350826.aspx

Time, it be time, mon.

-synchronicity, still crazy after all these years
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thank you for reposting this synchronicity. It was a joy to reread. Have you seen David recently?

Again thanks for sharing this and reminding me and others that the most precious gift is life experiences.

Lucky Dog
No. of Recommendations: 1
I saw him in August of 2013 (in Portland Oregon, as it happened). His son and my daughter are about a month apart in age.

I really need to see him again soon.

-synchronicity
Thanks for this. I appreciate it. And it's another piece of the shared oral history that this board has become. I wonder, I really do, what the historians of a thousand years will make of this cacophony of stories that suddenly became available and recorded for the very first time. Is it, like the advent of writing itself, the dawn of something we never imagined before? I tend to be an optimist, so I see a bright future built on this spectacular ability to learn about each other in ways like never before. There are, of course, dark edges and shadows that that bright future holds as well.

ThyPeace, I was a freshman in college in 1985. Friendships like this one are a woven-tight part of my own history as well. Some woven so tight that there is DNA involved. Some not quite that tight, but still significant.
No. of Recommendations: 3
I wonder, I really do, what the historians of a thousand years will make of this cacophony of stories that suddenly became available and recorded for the very first time.

They probably won't make anything of it at all. History is already much too big for historians to really digest it:

https://xkcd.com/1979/

Even if the (likely) hundreds of thousands of pages of letters, notes, journal entries, diaries, and correspondence that was written by ordinary Americans about the death of President Garfield were preserved for current historians, it's incredibly unlikely that any historian would bother to do so. It's just too, too much.

Albaby
Unless the historian is a robot.

PSU
No. of Recommendations: 4
Even if the (likely) hundreds of thousands of pages of letters, notes, journal entries, diaries, and correspondence that was written by ordinary Americans about the death of President Garfield were preserved for current historians, it's incredibly unlikely that any historian would bother to do so. It's just too, too much.

I'm not sure that's right. I think 1,000 years from now there will be two kind of historians. There will be historians that specialize in pre-1980 history. They will be a lot like the current historians. I think there will be post-1980 historians who are basically managers of information collating A.I.s. The won't research themselves, but rather set parameters for A.I.s to go out and sort and compile and categorize the data for them. I can see a history course 1,000 years from now.

- History 301: Advanced Categorization (Sarcasm) - Learn how to train neural nets to detect and label sarcasm from different eras. Sarcasm is easy to detect now, but it's uses and form have changed over the ages. In this course we discuss how to create an era-specific sarcasm detector and why no analysis is complete and accurate unless sarcasm is accounted for.

Wally
No. of Recommendations: 3
Sarcasm is easy to detect now, but it's uses and form have changed over the ages.

ITS USES!!!

-synchronicity, noting that WallyLock must be angling to be drummer in the garage band The Superfluou's Apostrophe's
Nah,

I am angling to be the "drummer"

Wally
Yup - still one of the all-time great posts in these forums.