No. of Recommendations: 0
Several new receivers have a direct input for an iPod (Harman Kardon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon)

I have been reading backwards on this board and discovered Airtunes - I think that this might be the solution for me - running iTunes on a PC upstairs and plugging the Airtunes box into the receiver. Other than that, I will have DirectTv that now broadcasts a bunch of XM Satellite channels. Between iTunes and XM Satellite, that pretty well takes care of my music needs. God, you gotta love the times we live in. I remember carting crates and crates of ALBUMS between houses when I was younger.

What about a subwoofer, or do you already have one picked out? What kind of speakers do you have?

I'm glad you asked this. After all of my backwards reading, I am beginning to have a bunch of questions about audio.

I will have 4 ceiling mounted speakers:

Klipsch KHC-6
50 watts continuous, 200 peak
92 db sensitivity
50Hz-20kHz + - 3db freq. response

I was trying to avoid freestanding speaker clutter and this seemed like the best way since it is new construction and I can run wire before drywall goes up.

Your question re: subwoofer makes me wonder how I reconcile the 4 speaker ceiling arrangement with a good surround sound type environment. i.e. After reading about 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 surround sound schemes, I don't know that my 4 speaker system will replicate that... I take it that the 5, 6, and 7 in 5.1., 6.1 and 7.1 refer to the number of speakers and that each speaker is dedicated to a special surround sound kind of purpose. I am thinking that my 4 speaker setup is not quite going to get it.

And your question re: subwoofer... Should I be buying a dedicated subwoofer in addition to my other speakers? Any recommendations?

How big is your room? Ceiling height? Length and width?
26x20, 8' ceilings. Seating will be approx. 10' from TV.

When you say "big ass HDTV" how big is that to you? 50 inches? 120 inches?

Ok, maybe not as big as some. It will be mounted over a 42" wide fireplace, so it will be 4x" wide. Since it will be wall mounted, I was thinking plasma.

thanks for your input!

hoover
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.