Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
several very prominent doctors have said otherwise. They have written that they've seen patients go from diabetic back to normal with the proper diet and exercise.

Diabetes is fatal, a fact that doesn't seem to register as many look at it as a lifestyle related disease. Early treatment can actually return blood glucose levels to the normal range. In fact, you may not develop type 2 diabetes automatically if you have what is called pre-diabetes. But this requires the cooperation between the patient and the doctor. There is no cure to type 1 or 2 diabetes, but you can manage it and delay progression from "pre-diabetes" to type 2 diabetes though a combination of diet, exercise and non-insulin medication.

But slowing it down is not a cure, and while diet and exercise can improve your blood sugars today, there is no guarantee that your blood sugar will remain under control. The worst thing that can happen is that someone thinks they are out of the woods and then they reduce the exercise or return to eating less healthy foods.

You sort of make me feel that this is hopeless
No, it's not hopeless. To the contrary, there is great research being performed for both the management of type 1 and 2 diabetes as well as hopes of a cure in our lifetime. I am not saying you have to take medication. What I am saying is that the decision whether or not to take medications should be made with your doctor. If you are against drugs, you need to tell your doctor and not let them write prescriptions you don't want or won't use.

Here's a couple articles I found from a recent World Diabetes Day event:

http://health.india.com/diseases-conditions/myths-regarding-...

http://health.india.com/diseases-conditions/diagnosed-with-p...

Not everyone who claims they can cure diabetes is a doctor but there are some medically trained doctors who think it can be cured. As someone who has lived with diabetes for over a decade, I think the real answer is that it can be managed but not cured, at least not yet. Most national and international diabetes organizations seem to agree with me. So I take it with a grain of salt when someone claims to have found all natural or organic cures. They said the same thing about Cancer. When the ADA, JDRF, CDC or NIH announce a cure, then I'll be a believer.

That said, there are many examples of people living with type 2 diabetes, starting with Tom Hanks, Randy Jackson, Drew Carey, David Wells, George Lucas, Nick Jonas and Charlie Kimball. Plus, one of my diabetes heroes, BB King (88, living with diabetes and still touring with Lucille).

Fuskie
Who thinks living with diabetes is a matter of life and death, maybe not immediate, but the decisions you make today can impact your days down the road...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.