Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
our union,instead of a pension plan has a severance fund.is this considered lump sum? same rules apply as pension lump sum? thanks.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
our union,instead of a pension plan has a severance fund.is this considered lump sum? same rules apply as pension lump sum?

Unions can sponsor qualified retirement plans, but I have no idea what a "severance fund" is. I think your first source of information should be the union.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti
No. of Recommendations: 1
<<our union,instead of a pension plan has a severance fund.is this considered lump sum? same rules apply as pension lump sum?>>

I'm also not familar with the term "severance fund". So I would repeat Phil's comments: Check with the union. As he points out, they have have various retirement programs in place. This could be one of those. Or it could be nothing more than a payment to you (ordinary income) if you are between employers.

So the union should have some written guidelines on the plan, and should be able to provide them to you. Once you get some additional information, we'll be happy to try and get to the bottom of things.

TMF Taxes
Roy