No. of Recommendations: 1
Why are prisoners allowed to watch sexually explicit and violent movies/TV show? Why are thy allowed to watch movies and TV to begin with?

Isn't prison supposed to "reform" people? Have them going to school or learning a trade 24/7 instead.

JLC

http://news.yahoo.com/iowa-prison-lonely-battle-against-sex-...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Why are prisoners allowed to watch sexually explicit and violent movies/TV show?

To relieve their pent up tensions.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Isn't prison supposed to "reform" people? Have them going to school or learning a trade 24/7 instead.

I actually have an acquaintance who's now serving a 4-year sentence for mail and wire fraud. I sent him a Christmas card. He responded with a 3-page single spaced letter explaining why he's innocent. (Yeah, riiiight.)

Here was the clincher: "I'm also reading many books--40 so far--and making many potential business contacts for future wealth."

Oh, I'll just bet you are.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Why are prisoners allowed to watch sexually explicit and violent movies/TV show? Why are thy allowed to watch movies and TV to begin with?

I actually know the answer to this one, and you're not going to like it. The answer has to do with government workers. Television is the best baby-sitter around. It is much easier to guard people who are basically content to watch TV than to guard people who are forced to do something, like read a book, which they don't want to do in the first place.

I can't say I blame the prison officials for making this choice. Guards' lives are hell to begin with, and why should they be responsible for more than just maintaining peace?