Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 12
SG: Do you have a reliable source for your “Biden is going to take all your money at death” concern? Like actual laws being written and debated?

I am sure everyone knows that only congress can pass tax laws, even the newbie (although he does seem retarded.) I am so tired of reading hysterical blather about "death tax" and the like. In this country we have an income tax. It's right there in the constitution. If your income has never been taxed, don't get your panties all in a wad because it is taxed at your death.

Before 1913 and the 16th amendment, the US taxed mainly imports (tariffs) - a tax 99% on on the rich. As Dillinger famously said when he was asked why he robbed banks, "That's where the money is." Until the 20th century, only the rich had enough money to be worth taxing. (Of course, the poor wound up paying for the excise taxes because the tax increased the price of the commodities the poor bought.) If the US collected no tax at all, how would we pay for all our aircraft carriers?

One of the biggest scams I see today is that wealthy families can just pass the wealth on to the next generation - continuously. My favorite example is the DuPonts. They have owned the state of Delaware (and a substantial part of the rest of the US) since the Civil war, . Generation after generation of people free-loading off the rest of us, meanwhile enjoying a lifestyle most of us can hardly imagine. That's not a good advertisement for our country and its tax system. The libertarians are fond of saying that the sales tax is a "fair" tax, but I say it is unfair because it unfairly taxes the poor on every cent they make (because they don't/can't afford to save.)

My wish would be that we return to the pre-Reagan taxes. Somewhere in the 1950's to 1960's era. OK, I think 90% tax is too much - how about between 50 to 70%?

CNC
... radical, bleeding heart liberal.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.