Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Since it takes me longer than 10 seconds to move 100 meters in a car, I have no idea what makes a good sprinter. But I was wondering if wearing sunglasses really helps?
Print the post Back To Top
Since it takes me longer than 10 seconds to move 100 meters in a car, I have no idea what makes a good sprinter. But I was wondering if wearing sunglasses really helps?

I'd imagine if you're facing into the sun, the glasses cut down on the glare and help you focus on the finishline.

However, I think resident track expert Wonderpup could clarify a little more.

-MC
But I was wondering if wearing sunglasses really helps?

Help run faster?

No.

Help land an endorsement deal with Ray-Ban?

Yes.

It's all about image. It's rare that the sun is a legit issue in a track meet, particularly the 100m dash.

--WP
I'd imagine if you're facing into the sun, the glasses cut down on the glare and help you focus on the finishline.

But the finals are at night!

Charlie

That's true, but when you eliminate races run at night, races on cloudy days, races where the sun isn't covered by the rim of the stadium, and races when the sun isn't lined up along the same axis as the track, you end up with very few cases where it is needed.

Some may wear it because of the stadium lights at night, but even then, it isn't really an issue unless you want it to be. The lights aren't really at eye level.

It's still more about image and endorsements.

--WP
No. of Recommendations: 2

I figured it was a wind-in-the-eyes thing.

It never clicked how fast these guys were really going until the CBC announcer commented that the men's 100m sprint is done at 43km/h (27mph).