Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Sharon-

Nice post.

for Frost death is a fact of life

I think this is true. By the time this was written, he had already seen both of his parents die (one to TB another to cancer) and two of his own children die. I think death was certainly something that was part of his life.

I would suggest bringing in another poem and talking about it while we continue with "Mowing." "After Apple Picking" is probably my favorite Frost poem:

http://www.ketzle.com/frost/apple.htm

I think it would work well with this "Mowing" discussion--its another poem that is all about labour and death. It comes out of Frost's second book of poetry, North of Boston. Note the language change in the stuff from this book. Little more colloquial and conversational with less traditional poetic syntax and diction.

I am curious about this part in particular:

One can see what will trouble
This sleep of mine, whatever sleep it is.
Were he not gone,
The woodchuck could say whether it's like his
Long sleep, as I describe its coming on,
Or just some human sleep.

Especially "Were he not gone." I know it directly refers to the woodchuck in the next line, but the way line stands alone by itself, with a comma after it to give pause, I can't help but think of his son Elliot who had died a few years earlier. Is this what is troubling his sleep? Any thoughts??

1FW
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.