Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
She said the club is a "non-profit". Is it possible to make contributions to the *club* -- and the club disperse it to this child (and apparently there is the intention to generically set up such a fund not just for *this* child but for *future* children with problems)?

There are all kinds of nonprofits that don't qualify for deductible contributions. For the contributions to be deductible, the organization has to qualify as a 501(c)(3) organization, which requires an application to and action by the IRS. While the club could certainly pursue such a status, it didn't sound to me like they'd be successful.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.