Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Sheila back to Sheila -- I apologize for not having provided that information yet! Will do my best to make the time in the next few days.

I hope the book is helpful!!

=sheila
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Give it your best description. I'm sure the doctor has heard it before and will understand.
Dictionary.com defines cocklebur as "any coarse weed of the genus Xanthium, having spiny burs: family Asteraceae (composites)".

I wouldn't depend on your doctor or any person to be familiar with Xanthium whether by its botanical or common name. Go to this website, click on the picture to enlarge it, download and print it and show it to your doctor. He'll "get the picture".

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=xanthium+asteracea&t=ffsb&...

RayB
No. of Recommendations: 2
I know what are cockleburrs. I agree with Ray, that many folks won't, though.

You might describe it as grass burrs? Perhaps more folks will know that Burr? Perhaps tell the Dr that you feel like you have a bundle of grass burrs in your throat?

How about a wad of thumbtacks? Or Staples?

It sounds pretty miserable.
😲
ralph
One of the primary symptoms and problems of chronic bronchitis is the exceptional amount of super thick, sticky, adhesive mucous that the airways produce. And one of the primary treatment needs is to liquify that mucous and keep it drained. That eases breathing, and removes an otherwise fertile environment for germs to seed and proliferate. Every single pulmonologist is keenly familiar with this mucous problem as it's central to the pathology.

You don't have to worry about finding the correct words to communicate your problem.

=sheila
Many thanks to all who replied! The pulmonologist is one whose native language is not English and I want him to know exactly how this "exceptional amount of super think, sticky, adhesive" (thanks Sheila!!) snot is choking me to death - literally!

I am 80 years old and my long experience with medical personnel tells me it is not always as one thinks/hopes it should be. Just today I have been on the phone hours with my insurance company, my primary's referral dept.(no contact, had to leave another message), my insurance agent. I know - get another doc, another insurance etc etc - not as easy as one might think.

Again - thank you all - I am armed!
I am 80 years old and my long experience with medical personnel tells me it is not always as one thinks/hopes it should be. Just today I have been on the phone hours with....

You can't compare your problems with those administrative jerks to communicating with the pulmonologist about the aspects of your lung disease that are making your life so difficult. Any pulmonologist who does not instantly understand your mucous problem is just pretending to be a pulmonologist. THE central symptom of chronic bronchitis is the exceptional, choking mucous production.

I can recommend a book that may be helpful: "The Chronic Bronchitis and Emphysema Handbook" that my husband and I wrote. It was published 29 years ago (almost to the day), but the basics are the same. It should help you understand what's going on, and provide help in how best to cope with it. I don't know what the newest evolution is in terms of meds. But if you're interested, I can give you information I've learned since then on herbal antimicrobials, which should be very helpful in reducing the frequency of respiratory infections. And they don't have the side effects of antibiotics. Let me know.

=sheila
Thanks, Sheila! I just ordered your book - can't wait for its arrival! Any information regarding herbal antimicrobials and other coping hints/treatments would be appreciated.

Sheila O.
Thank you, Sheila, for your responses to this thread. I will also be ordering the book as I've realized that I do actually have chronic bronchitis, even though it's mild. I've been blaming the mucous problems on something else and nothing I'd read before pointed to this as a symptom of chronic bronchitis.
Sheila to Sheila:

The (your) book arrived yesterday. I am excited to have it; I expect it will address many of the facts as yet unknown to me about this horrible malady. Thanks for letting me know about it!!

I would still like to have "information....learned since then on herbal antimicrobials, which should be very helpful in reducing the frequency of respiratory infections."

Thanks very much!
Sheila back to Sheila -- I apologize for not having provided that information yet! Will do my best to make the time in the next few days.

I hope the book is helpful!!

=sheila