Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
She's thinking of taking every Friday off from now through next Spring.

What would you do with a "bonus" five weeks vacation time?

I wouldn't dribble it away one day at a time. I think that I would take a nice long trip somewhere and forget completely about work. The last really big one that I took was 2 years ago when I went to Hong Kong/China and travelled about by train. It was incredible and I really did forget about work and just immersed myself as much as possible into the culture. It was incredible. It wasn't until I got on the last train trip of the journey from Xian (terracotta soldiers) to Beijing that I started to get the vacation equivalent of the Sunday afternoon dreads.

If I had the 5 weeks I think it would a tough toss up between trains through eastern Europe and a trip starting in Thailand through Malaysia to Singapore by train.

When I was a kid and I got money for gifts it was the same thing. A lot of kids would blow it on small crap that they could have used their allowance or odd job money for - chocolate bars, comic books, etc. I didn't do that cause you didn't get a lump sum so often. I bought bigger things that were harder to save up for - a typewriter, a guitar, computer bits (back when you had to assemble them yourself).

Hyperborea
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.