Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Shess:
<there wasn't anything obviously inflammatory about it.>

Like the old saying goes, if 10 people tell you you're drunk, go home & lie down, regardless of how you think you feel.

You wrote:
<Granted - but I think that's more due to the type of people [emphasis added] they are than the amount they can contribute. I suspect that many of the same people would contribute no more to an IRA if their
income went up $10k or more.>

I think most people assumed that you were saying that ALL people in the lowest income tax bracket are shiftless spendthrifts; i.e., 'poor' people are poor because of a character defect which prevents them from saving money, regardless of their income level. Whether or not you intended to say that is another issue, but that's what it sounded like to me.
What you might have said (without fear of contradiction or causing offense) is that Americans, in general, at all income levels save very little and that that would account for the low levels of IRA savings which Ray was speculating about.

Chris
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.