Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Shirehobbit;

Right now, DW and I have about 6 months of net pay in emergency funds, but that is a gross over simplification.

Those same funds account for about 18 months of core spending, and we are still increasing them. I have them distributed as follows:

Local savings (held at same bank that holds our primary checking account). This one gets funds automatically, every paycheck. It holds about 1 month of core spending at any given time, and I use it primarily to smooth out some of the unexpected expenses from month to month. Interest rate is pretty low, but its pretty easy to get access

Secondary savings (held at same institution holding a number of investment accounts). I presently have about 8.5 months of core spending in this account. It earns a somewhat hire interest rate, but is still FDIC insured. Its a little harder to tap into, but I have used portions of it when replacing a car, etc. Adding to it every month.

Tertiary emergency fund. This presently holds about 9 months of core spending and is invested conservatively in the bond and stock market. DW and I are relatively young, and at this point, this is more akin to an EOTWAWKI fund and is only likely to be tapped in the event I loose my job and we are not able to establish an additional income stream. Adding to it every month. Having enough funding in my secondary savings means I don't get excited about the extra risk involved in being in the market.

At some point (and I'm projecting about 3 years) I'll probably have more than 12 months of core spending in each of the secondary and tertiary funds, and I expect to use some of the secondary savings to pay off our mortgage at that point.

We are working to aggressively reduce core spending by paying down debt (mortgage and student loans at less than 4.25% car payment at 0%). Some would argue that building the emergency funds further would be a better use of the excess we are paying, but getting core spending down will really change the dynamic.

In our instance, getting the car, mortgage, and student loan paid off will decrease core spending not quite 50%, which would double the duration my efunds could cover.
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.