Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 17
The message you're trying to access has been removed from the boards. The most likely reason for this is that the message violated our Fool's Rules about appropriate content. Either that or it was swallowed up by intergalactic space beasts from the planet Xeenu.

Please check out The Motley Fool's Terms and Conditions of Service.

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Naughty, naughty, Selena... where's the FA police...
No. of Recommendations: 70
"Naughty, naughty, Selena... where's the FA police..."

Nothing against Selena because I love the stuff she posts, but she appears to be immune from Fool Alerts, while my "Free Trip to Las Vegas" post was deleted because

"We want to make sure that you are aware of our rules.
Please understand that we have standards in our community
and work to uphold them."

Yeah, right. What rules? What hidden, obscure posting rule did the post violate? The image used is on the back and side of every public transportation conveyance in Las Vegas, and appears on larger than life size banners all over town. No one was naked, nudity was not even implied, not a single word in the text was of questionable taste, it was even made clear that the models were all American of Caucasian descent to avoid being called a racist for making fun of any other race/nationality, etc, etc, and still... I'll be as plain as I could possibly be on this: TMF censors, yes you who make the decision to delete a post based on the solitary objection of an anal retentive reader, yes you... you SUCK!

~aj
No. of Recommendations: 26
A joke I posted about a Mexican got pulled. I waited about a week and posted the same joke using a Frenchman. No one protested or said anything about it. Some people get their rocks by FAing posts. Others are just shti stirrers.
No. of Recommendations: 14
A joke I posted about a Mexican got pulled. I waited about a week and posted the same joke using a Frenchman. No one protested or said anything about it. Some people get their rocks by FAing posts. Others are just shti stirrers.

A post in which I said that people who behave a certain way (without identifying anyone in particular) are idiots, got pulled for incivility.

Since then I have FA'd several posts for calling SPECIFIC PEOPLE racists and stupid, and all those posts remain.
No. of Recommendations: 35
TMF censors, yes you who make the decision to delete a post based on the solitary objection of an anal retentive reader, yes you... you SUCK!

Actually suspect posts are first reported to the police via a programmed hotkey...F11, the Fool's version of 911. Once there, it's handed over to a team of investigators who do a background check on the alleged perpertator. Evidence is gathered and experts are used to determine every possible offense. Once the case is rock solid a Foolish Attorney (thus the FA'd) is brought in to prosecute the case. If he approves, a Magistrate Jester is asked to issue a warrant for a full post arrest. The post is then brought to a trial and a jury of 13 men and occasionally a woman, a midget, and a gypsy and a small child with something that looks like sap running from his nose. From that point a verdict is arrived at and the post is sentenced for execution.

Other times, a TMF employee just has some common sense and says, eh, *click* (post gone).

Another way to look at it is this forum is led by you, yes you, Mr. pull a 50 gallon cooler on wheels behind you to a Foolish party just to carry a page from a Playboy book. You are basically worshipped here, and can type a post that says "nothing," and get 49 posts. TMF doesn't allow entire discussion groups to be dominated by T & A, because this is a public board. Pushing the envelope and complaining when "caught" is very unbecoming.

At one time Eddie Murphy was only a foul mouthed, dirty minded comedian. Then, he cleaned up his act and did many wonderful roles that even children love. Joe, you have talent too. Why don't you try to see if you can be just as funny with legitimate humor, as opposed to only striking the deviant funny bone. That would be a true test of your comedic genius.

Or maybe it's time you had a long chat with yourself, ask yourself if as an upper middle aged man, you havn't consumed your personality with sexual innuendo. As yourself if you havn't displaced your normal personality and psyche that would allow you to interact with all people of any race, age, or cup size, on strictly a respectable, adult type level, at least some of the time.

We love ya Joe, and we won't stop fighting for ya.

Paul T.
No. of Recommendations: 15
We love ya Joe, and we won't stop fighting for ya.

Sez you.

I don't like Joe at ALL! I only use him for my own pleasure. ;o)

Kez
No. of Recommendations: 8
The image used is on the back and side of every public transportation conveyance in Las Vegas, and appears on larger than life size banners all over town.

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

IF
No. of Recommendations: 60
TMF censors, yes you who make the decision to delete a post based on the solitary objection of an anal retentive reader, yes you... you SUCK!

Dear Joe,

I can't claim to speak for TMF because my only affiliation with them is that I post here. However, these are public message boards and that there is an attempt at TMF to keep the standard somewhat elevated.

The way they do this is by allowing people to FA posts. Some do it because they are genuinely offended and others do it because they want to annoy the poster in question. It doesn't really matter - it's a system and in its own way, it has prevented these boards for years fro degenerating into "Yahoo boards."

Everyone who is a regular poster gets posts pulled that he or she believe should have passed the litmus test - that's just the name of the game. I believe that TMF does their best to try and please everyone and from an objective standpoint, and coming form someone who doesn't object in any way to any form of nudity myself, I feel that actually, you are allowed to get away with a lot more than people prior to the 'averagjoe era' were allowed to get away with.

Certain of your posts for example have grossly offended my wife who has an account here. She has never FA'd a post of yours, but some are offensive at the click of a button. She's certainly not a prude, but she does take offense at things I just shrug at.

Whether the semi-naked ladies are on the side, front or back of every Las Vegas bus is neither here nor there - people might find it offensive there too. It's just hard to FA a bus. People will click on your messages entitled "free trip to Las Vegas" and may be shocked. Their recourse to FA your post may be a reaction to that. The same people may not click on Selena's post or may not read it.

I feel that your reaction is unbecoming and inappropriate. It's annoying, but it is not necessary to call them names. In the scheme of one's life, it really should be totally irrelevant if a post gets pulled on a message board. It's a little sad that it makes you so angry - it's just a post and quite frankly, I feel that apologies are in order.

Best regards,

A.
No. of Recommendations: 16
Very good post Ahote, but I think Joe was referring to the old cliché, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

oj
After a very hard landing in Salt Lake City: The flight attendant came on the intercom and said, "That was quite a bump and I know what ya'll are thinking. I'm here to tell you it wasn't the airline's fault, it wasn't the pilot's fault, it wasn't the flight attendant's fault.....it was the asphalt!"
FA'd for corniness
No. of Recommendations: 14
Hi Ahote,

I feel that apologies are in order.

I totally agree... but how often do the FA'ers (when we are talking about true pettiness) have the co-jones to step up and actually do that?

AveragJoe (and others) are not griping about generalities... he's griping about petty immature inconsistencies that appear to evidence small-mindedness.

When people have their sensibilities offended, AND they've perused the nautre of the community and choose to participate... I find that Fool Alert to content a fair (if rarely welcomed) tool.

Fool Alerting as a personal attack... as you've described as an apparently common behaviour from some boards... is infantile... and is completely unwelcome to a civil non-political adult community.

Cheers,
Dave
No. of Recommendations: 13
Nothing against Selena because I love the stuff she posts, but she appears to be immune from Fool Alerts

Not really. Nobody is immune, including me.

Speaking generally, if we sometimes appear overzealous in trying to maintain an atmosphere that would make Walt Disney scream in frustration, it's because there's another element pushing in the opposite direction.

Richard
I totally agree... but how often do the FA'ers (when we are talking about true pettiness) have the co-jones to step up and actually do that?

Sorry about that.
Whether the semi-naked ladies are on the side, front or back of every Las Vegas bus is neither here nor there - people might find it offensive there too. It's just hard to FA a bus. People will click on your messages entitled "free trip to Las Vegas" and may be shocked. Their recourse to FA your post may be a reaction to that. The same people may not click on Selena's post or may not read it.
I feel that your reaction is unbecoming and inappropriate. It's annoying, but it is not necessary to call them names. In the scheme of one's life, it really should be totally irrelevant if a post gets pulled on a message board. It's a little sad that it makes you so angry - it's just a post and quite frankly, I feel that apologies are in order.
Best regards,
A.

-----

I certainly don't mind a little T&A, but I don't generally click on Joe's links because they are NSFW. I've had a couple of my posts pulled for 'masked profanity' though... wasn't there some in the body of that post?

ten
No. of Recommendations: 3
it was even made clear that the models were all American of Caucasian descent…

Well, there's your problem right there. Since you didn't include any minorities, your post is obviously racist.

My guess is that even a photo of a family reunion would probably get FA'd, since most families lack ethnic diversity!
it's because there's another element pushing in the opposite direction.

I heard about those. They come in the brown paper wrapped boxes, right?

;)

JB
No. of Recommendations: 274
"You are basically worshipped here, and can type a post that says "nothing," and get 49...."

Absolutely not true. I'll show you.

How many does this post have?

~aj
No. of Recommendations: 13
At one time Eddie Murphy was only a foul mouthed, dirty minded comedian. Then, he cleaned up his act and did many wonderful roles that even children love. Joe, you have talent too. Why don't you try to see if you can be just as funny with legitimate humor, as opposed to only striking the deviant funny bone. That would be a true test of your comedic genius.

*Legitimate* humor? Is that humor that amuses *you* instead of the rest of us?
No. of Recommendations: 5

Lessee. Including mine, 20 and counting.

~D
No. of Recommendations: 1
Sorry, folks -- I didn't mean to offend, and probably should have thought twice before posting.

Happy holidays,

Selena
No. of Recommendations: 5
"You are basically worshipped here, and can type a post that says "nothing," and get 49...."

~aj

Recommendations: 49....

ROFL
No. of Recommendations: 12
Sorry, folks -- I didn't mean to offend, and probably should have thought twice before posting.

Selena,

Relax. Your post was great. It's the arbitrary butt-hole sensors who are offensive...

Andy
No. of Recommendations: 2
It's the arbitrary butt-hole sensors who are offensive

And they be TMF'ers who are the over sensitive type and VERY inconsistent

I Fa'd Selenas post - not because it bothered me at all , but rather that a TMF'er could post something that AJ couldn't

Lighten up TMF!!!!!!!!!!!!
No. of Recommendations: 30

Nah, it's all good. Depends on the venue. A church's youth ministry comedy night would not consider prostitute jokes as legitimate for the function.

A public board owned by quality brothers intent on not letting a legitimately fun & safe website founded on personal wealth and humor, has a rational right to gently steer the ship towards respectability.

If you founded a website and built a reputation as being very intelligent and trustworthy for good natured investors, you are free to let it become R and X rated. Of course, you wouldn't be in the same class as the Gardners then, but that would be your choice.

Perhaps, just perhaps, a nice family investing in stocks may reasonably expect to clickity click around MF and not have their children or wife in the background glance over only to see a dozen butts or fully nude women with slighlty blurred breasts. Maybe this is a G rated website with some R rated posters who sometimes get away with it, and sometimes don't. There's not enough resources at Motley to monitor every post through an employee so they use the self policing alert model. It works, has it's limitations, and allows the public to come here in a safe-search sort of way. Use it to your advantage...see how creative you can be with a wide girth of leeway in what you can post. Very liberating. If something gets FA'd, well, in most cases, that's one in a hundred times that you didn't get away with something. Chuckle, and move on, and realized that the alternatives are either rampant trash talk that doesn't belong in any family household, or posting that is so strict that you might as well be posting on the Vatican's website where your post doesn't even show up until filtered through a moderator.

Legitimate for this website, is pretty easy to see.

Paul T.

You are correct. 118 is not equal to 49.

Nah, it's all good. Depends on the venue. A church's youth ministry comedy night would not consider prostitute jokes as legitimate for the function.

You are trying to be subtle in changing the subject. Either Joe is humorous, or he isn't. I think he is. Telling him to try "legitimate" humor is incredibly self-righteous.

If you don't like his humor, then fine. But there are plenty of people out there (including me) that find Joe to be extremely entertaining. Now whether it is *appropriate* or not for these messageboards is up to TMF's owners, but that is a completely separate issue from whether Joe is humorous or not.
At one time Eddie Murphy was only a foul mouthed, dirty minded comedian. Then, he cleaned up his act and did many wonderful roles that even children love.

You never saw Dr. Dolittle 2, did you?

Not funny.

In fact, the funniest thing Eddie Murphy did since 48 Hours (decidedly NOT kid friendly) and Beverly Hills Cop (again, not for kids) was pick up that transvestite hooker!
At one time Eddie Murphy was only a foul mouthed, dirty minded comedian. Then, he cleaned up his act and did many wonderful roles that even children love.

You never saw Dr. Dolittle 2, did you?

Not funny.

In fact, the funniest thing Eddie Murphy did since 48 Hours (decidedly NOT kid friendly) and Beverly Hills Cop (again, not for kids) was pick up that transvestite hooker!

I thought he was great as Donkey in the Shrek movies.
190 recs.......Apology excepted!!!!!!!!!!!
No. of Recommendations: 17
You are trying to be subtle in changing the subject. Either Joe is humorous, or he isn't

Well now I think you bring up a very good point. I suppose someone in the KKK could make a joke with a noose at a school, and have the members spittin' Budweiser out their noses as they roll on their house trailer floors in laughter. Does that make the noose builder "humorous?" I guess since somone laughed, by your definition the answer would be yes, it's legitimate humor. From there, it's just a matter of if you did or didn't like the KKK's humor, you seem to be saying.

By the way, yes, I think Joe is very funny. In fact, I can't look at a picture of him without busting out laughing.

Paul T.
I guess since somone laughed, by your definition the answer would be yes, it's legitimate humor.

That's not my definition.

If someone who makes a large number of people laugh isn't humorous, then who is?

Don't bother answering, because I'm cutting my losses by giving up on you right now.
<There's not enough resources at Motley to monitor every post...so they use the self policing alert model. It works, has it's limitations>

I thought I had a virus about 3 weeks ago. Every time I tried to submit, I got a quick red flash at the top that I couldn't read. I was on REHP. The middle of one sentence had "...the bond_ge of work." I finally figured it out: bond_ge, according to the filter, just HAD to mean what we all know it means in a sexual context. I laughed, changed the phrase, and got it through.

Test: I'm typing bond_age now with the 'a' left in to see if it will submit. So if you see it below all by its stupid self, it made it.

Nope. I tried :-( but it got "all tied up" by the alert filter. LOL.
bondage

I don't see an issue. :)

~aj

232 as i see till now! LOL

Janny
No. of Recommendations: 16
may reasonably expect to clickity click around MF and not have their children or wife in the background glance over only to see a dozen butts or fully nude women with slighlty blurred breasts
And they won't, since you can't post attachments to posts, only links - if you are willing to click on a link to such a picture (and after clicking on any more than two or three of joe's links you know what to expect), then the wife and kids better learn to brace themselves when you're online. If you just can't help yourself, you could remove temptation by P-Boxing joe (or anyone else whose tastes don't match your own) - there is no reason to annoint yourself the board censor (or for TMF to do so) just to ensure that no one else is enjoying themselves.

Most of the stuff that gets FA'd is text - and that isn't offensive to a casual over-the-shoulder glance from across the room, only to the person directly in front of the monitor. I would suggest that they are better off either to grow a thicker skin, or make the effort to develop and post an explaination of why the post was offensive. If they can't be bothered to do that, they are welcome to P-Box those whose messages offend them. Seeking to limit what other people can say to protect your own delicate sensibilities is a truly craven, cowardly response - people who do so are contemptible.
"... I feel that apologies are in order."
Best regards, A.

Apology accepted, just try not to do it again.

'Tigerman'
Author: averagjoe Number: of 114166
Subject: Re: shirt happens... Date: 11/20/07 5:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!

Recommendations: 235

"Absolutely not true. I'll show you.
How many does this post have? "

~aj
Wow.
You are basically like the IFindKarma of Humor and Urban Legends.

Congrats on cultivating a robust and loyal legion of followers that rec everything you post.

GSjs would say he is not impressed, but, deep down, he would be jealous.