No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi all! I have been thinking of taking my wife on a short cruise, maybe 3-4 nights, somewhere close to home this coming March. I live in NJ, so I was thinking of a Carribean/Bermuda/Bahamas type trip. We can't stay longer, cause we have to leave the kids with my MIL, and don't want to stress her out too much! I'm also looking to keep it under $1000, if possible.

In the past, I have used Expedia to book trips, but I wanted to know if any of you had any suggestions for a different site to use, or if you have any experiances in the area I am looking in that you'd like to report? I sure would appreciate it! Thanks in advance.....

Mike in NJ
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi all! I have been thinking of taking my wife on a short cruise, maybe 3-4 nights, somewhere close to home this coming March. I live in NJ, so I was thinking of a Carribean/Bermuda/Bahamas type trip. We can't stay longer, cause we have to leave the kids with my MIL, and don't want to stress her out too much! I'm also looking to keep it under $1000, if possible.

Don't know about Florida, but the Monarch of the Seas sails every Friday from L.A. on a three-nioght cruise to Mexico, and on Tuesday for a four-night cruise. I have no idea about prices, nor about transportation to/from L.A.

cliff
Norweigan Cruise Lines has a number of cruises out of NYC -- not sure if any fit your specific needs. I went around Cape Horn with them and was very pleased with service and such. (Disclaimer: I'm not really a cruise person.)

You can check them out at www.ncl.com
No. of Recommendations: 4
For such a short trip I would skip the cruise and just go to a resort at one of the places you mentioned or even in Florida. The problem is that with a cruise you will eat up so much time making connections and getting on the cruise ship at a specific time. With a resort, you could be on the beach several hours after you drop off the kids.

Be sure to check out the spring break schedules.

The new passport requirement will go into affect soon if they haven't already. If you don't have a passport already you may be out of luck even with the rush fees. I was at a small post office last Saturday and there must have been about 50 people waiting to get their passport applications submitted.

I am not a “cruise person” but I have seen them on overstock.com at what looked like pretty good prices.

Greg
Mike--it's a WONDERFUL idea--I say DO IT!!

We live in the NYC area and have taken many cruises just because they're so cheap when they're on special and there's no hassle with airports, etc, it's a resort that is much easier to get to than a resort.

Mostly we travel Carnival, but just because of the price. We prefer (so far) NCL, which also goes out of NYC.

I highly recommend Travelzoo--they link to many other travel sites, but just list the best bargains. If you have some time to plan, you should sign up for their Wednesday best of the week newsletter.

That's where we found the 8-day cruise for $400 each including port taxes etc. And then they upgraded us to a balcony room--we were in heaven!

If you don't play too much bingo, or sign up for too many tours in port, there are really no hidden costs and I think if you look carefully, you should be able to find what you're looking for at the budget you have in mind.

Good luck!
Best,
AB
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for all your suggestions, guys, I appreciate the input! And thank you, AB, for the encouragement. I have been having my doubts. This will be the first time we have left both kids alone for so long (well, not alone, they will be with their aunt and grandmother, but you get the idea.....) and I am a little nervous. But my wife and I could use a little down time, that's for sure!

Mike in NJ