Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Does anybody know how one can organize a short sale on Schedule D? I understand that if the short and any cover were made in the same tax year, the net capital gain is treated like any other capital gain. What if You shorted a stock in one tax year and did not cover the short for say 2 years. How is this dealt with? Also what if after say 2 Years You decide that your short was not a good idea, and cover the position with a loss. To make it more interesting lets say the loss is $10,000 (beyond the $3000 limit). I find the explanations in the IRS publications quite ambiguous in this area. Any help appreciated.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.