Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Short term capital gains will work too, won't they? Unless the market turns around and heads south, I've got enough of those to offset the margin costs and then some.

Sort of. It depends on whether you have any long term capital losses or any capital loss carryforwards from earlier years.

The old procedure (I don't know if this will change) was to start with your net capital gain -- regardless of holding period. Then you subtract the excess of long-term capital gains over short-term capital losses. Whatever is left over counts as investment income. You then have the option of electing to treat some/all of your income that would qualify for reduced (LTCG) tax rates as ordinary income in order to increase the amount of deductible investment interest expense.

See the instructions to Form 4952 for more information. The 2002 version of this form can be found here:

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.