Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Shorting is a su**ker's game, in general. Look at the internet bubble.
------------*,*-------------
I am definitely a sucker, I remember when people would ask, I was telling everyone to short Ariba, when it was ~$300 and going down. I really did not follow my own advice until ~$85.

Doubled my money - oh wait, wasn't even my money in a couple of months.

I will say it is an emotional drain, that is why I could not pull the trigger until I saw <$100. Even then I was ready to buy it back MANY Times.

But - the hedge strategy of going long and short in the same sector is a good idea. I prefer Energy Sector, but using the Google and Yahoo example is good.

You are going to spend the time studying the stocks that you want to invest in. You look into internet stocks and see after you have looked at a few (may be 10) you see some are really good and some you wonder WTF. You looked at one, after doing the math - you decide this one is for you - BOOM, you go long.

What is wrong with, you looked at one, after doing the math - you decide this one is going down - BOOM, you short.

If you have the power to pick one that will go up, it is the same power to pick one going down. But the beauty is the hedge.
If you are totally wrong and the sector drops 5%, you are probably ahead because the worst stocks do worse, if the sector goes wild, you are probably better because good stocks do well. The only way you suffer a grand loss is if you are wrong on two stocks. Which, if you are wrong on two long stocks - you are going to suffer just as bad. But if long on both - what happens if the market just punishes them because it is Tuesday. OUCH

DrTarr
Who thinks long and short -pairing, Honda and GM was also a long term strategy....
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.