Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Should I change the TIN on the beneficiary trust accounts?

I am assuming that you mean the bank or other financial accounts. If so, then yes, have the financial institutions get the correct number on those accounts.

The account rep said that they could change all the TINs, for the previous years, to the "new," correct TIN. However, if they do, the account numbers will not match the 1041s, which have already been filed.

That really doesn't matter. They could issue corrected 1099s if they like. Or not. It's probably better if they don't. I kind of go with the sleeping dog principle on these things. Let 'em lie alone and in peace.

The key issue is that you filed tax returns and reported all of the income correctly. Right? If so, having a wrong TIN might cause some administrative issues, but nothing more. Those administrative issues might get a bit messy at times, but keep your eye on the fact that you filed returns in good faith and paid all of your taxes.

I wrote to the IRS, to NOT change the number of the beneficiary trust, to the Mother Trust's TIN, almost a month ago. I haven't heard anything since.

That's not unusual. It might take 2 or 3 months to get a response. Be patient. If that length of time passes and you don't hear anything, write again, and include the correct TIN in your letter.

Please advise.

Speaking as a tax pro, I'm going to stick up for the lawyer (but only a little bit). This isn't a horrible error. It's an ordinary kind of thing that happens from time to time. I don't mean to imply that the lawyer is off the hook, but complaining to lots of different board and authorities wouldn't accomplish much. If you were of a mind to continue using the lawyer, they should stand behind their work and take care of the correspondance necessary to correct their error at no cost to you. Since you've ruled that out, there's nothing to complain about to any regulatory bodies. You haven't given them a chance to correct their error. However, if they refused to do anything, then moving up the food chain would be entirely appropriate.

And another thing I've noticed - this seems to be the season for TIN errors. I have had two of them in my office in the last couple of months. Both of them involve entities for which WE obtained the TINs. I think the IRS is just watching this particular issue closer than they have in the past. And creating all sorts of havoc in the process. From what I can tell, they've gotten better at identifying mismatches between names and TINs, but they're not very good at resolving them yet.

Particularly annoying is their tendency to change both the name AND TIN to some other entity at the same address. That is the problem I'm wrestling with, and it seems to be what they did to you as well.

--Peter
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.