I bought $2,000 worth of CNXS in October of 2005 and I'm
down $543 in value as of today.

What is the general opinion on holding this stock or should
I cut my losses and move on and come back later when things
pick up?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Not to sound trite but I have to answer your questions with other questions:

1. Why did you buy CNXS in October 2005?
2. Has that reason changed? If no, then there's no reason intrinsic to CNXS or its shares to sell. If yes, then you have to make a decision on whether or not this change is an opportunity, a threat or neither and move on from there.

For example: I bought CNXS because I felt it was undervalued at $9-$10/share and I felt they could grow moderately and have the stock price outpace that growth due to the margin of safety. I haven't checked stock prices of companys I own since 5/1/2005 (closing in on my 1 year hiatus) but I do read the boards so I have a feeling MY reasons for original purchase are no longer in play. I may not find them so undervalued today. So now I'd have to see if the new reality is an opportunity (they're growing faster than before and their true value is hidden in their cash flow if not their rising EPS?), a threat (they're at a value that suggests a 3-5 year growth rate that is well beyond their grasp?), or a non-event.

Fortunately I don't have to worry about such things until 5/1/06...perhaps you don't either.

All the best,

Blitzen94
(still breathing well by breathing right)
No. of Recommendations: 0
1. Why did you buy CNXS in October 2005?
2. Has that reason changed? If no, then there's no reason intrinsic to CNXS or its shares to sell. If yes, then you have to make a decision on whether or not this change is an opportunity, a threat or neither and move on from there.

I bought CNXS in Oct because it's when I joined TMF Hidden Gems newsletter and "thought" it would be a good one to own!

Not beating up on the TMF guys because I'm paying for the service
and I've come to the conclusion that buying stocks is a crap shoot
at best. You can buy what appears to be a undervalued company and
still see it fall and fall without any real reason other than the
"market" has turned it's back on it.

You win a few and you lose a few, but luckily my winners are greater
than my losers and I'm getting better at closing out of losers
before they cost me too much. I've still got a few like CNXS that
I don't believe it going to go "belly up" totally any time soon but
I don't like "treading water" for a long time either.
I bought CNXS a while back, watched it do nothing for months, other than going down, at which time I bought more shares. After a few more months, the stock started rising. Today I'm up 72% and at times I've been up over 120%. Don't know if it will do that again, but you'll never know if you don't hold it.

Raleigh1208
I bought $2,000 worth of CNXS in October of 2005

From looking at a chart of Oct prices, it would seem you paid somewhere between $22 and $29 for your shares. This is ~2X the rec price and nearly 3X its lowest range since recommendation at 11.18.
I can't remember where, but I believe some of the TMFers have advised members against buying the stocks that were more than 30% above the recommended price without further guidance in the newsletter or daily notes. Of course this doesn't apply to re-recs like Select Comfort and MIDD.

For instance, I have wanted to invest in RSTI for a while, but don't think it's margin of safety is good enough now.

I bought CNXS a while back, watched it do nothing for months,

Raleigh, I did nearly the same thing as you. I bought right after the rec and watched it in the doldrums and complained on this board one time and one of the TMF guys reminded me that I was also getting a nice little dividend that had my small increase up to a respectable 6%-8%.
I relaxed and sat back and kind of forgot it and have a nice 80% profit.

Regards

charlie--long CNXS and still concerned about their R&D and acquisitions
or lack thereof