Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
http://www.cagw.org/newsroom/waste-watcher/2009/june/stimula...

When the federal government decided to spend $787 billion to stimulate the economy in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA), most Americans understood, contrary to most of the tough talk about accountability and transparency, that a percentage of these funds would be wasted. To try and assuage these fears, Congress and Obama Administration declared that the stimulus money would be focused on “shovel ready” projects.

Apparently, the Social Security Administration (SSA) believes that a “shovel ready” project means digging up the dead to hand them a stimulus check.

In fact, the SSA reported that more than 10,000 stimulus checks were sent to the dead. The new law provided a one-time payment of $250 for retirees, disabled individuals, and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients. One would assume that the term “retirees” was meant to describe people retired from the workforce, not people retired from life.

These are not just the recently deceased of the past few weeks, months, or even a year. The government sent checks to one individual who had been dead for 42 years. That’s exactly what 83 year-old James Hagner of Orchard Beach, Maryland learned in May. He received a check from the U.S. Treasury made out to his mother, Rose, who died in 1967.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Remember this is no indication that the government can't do a bang-up job with healthcare <g>.

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
The new law provided a one-time payment of $250 for retirees, disabled individuals, and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients.
-------------

I'll have to ask DH if he got a check and what he did with it. Hmmm.

I'm applying for SS in a few days. I think I'll get ~1K a month. Nothing to sneeze at, or turn down. And I was only in the workforce full-time for 12 years.

arrete
No. of Recommendations: 2
These are not just the recently deceased of the past few weeks, months, or even a year. The government sent checks to one individual who had been dead for 42 years. That’s exactly what 83 year-old James Hagner of Orchard Beach, Maryland learned in May. He received a check from the U.S. Treasury made out to his mother, Rose, who died in 1967.

Rose had been voting Democrat since 1967 so I reckon the government felt her next of kin deserved some small token of their appreciation. <g>

Mike