Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0


I live with my significant other, whom I support
financially %100. We're not married and not
relatives (that would be gross). No one else
lives with us. My questions are:

1) Can I claim my SO as a dependent?
2) Can I file as head of household?
3) If I can do either one of these, will I need
to prove that I support my SO financially? if
so, what do I need in order to prove this?


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.