Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

Not sure how many of you remember the successful Silver Palate cookbook from the eighties, but I found mine last weekend while unpacking a box of books.

It was the first cookbook I purchased after graduation.

Anyway, I was tired last night and it was hot so I decided to try the super-easy, super-simple summer pasta recipe for linguine with tomatoes, basil and cheese. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the recipe here since it belongs to the authors (?), but it's basically a fresh tomato sauce that involves allowing brie cheese and chopped tomatoes, along with EVOO and basil and spices to sit out together at room temps. Over a couple hours, they marinate into a lovely sauce.

It's on page 78, I highly recommend it if you still have the book.

I even used Dreamfields low carb pasta and it was great, if you're into that sort of thing.

MG
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
It belongs to them pretty much the same way that the following recipie "belongs" to allrecipes.com

;)

http://pasta.allrecipes.com/az/FettucciniBasilBrie.asp
No. of Recommendations: 1
RE: MG: "I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the recipe here since it belongs to the authors (?)"

While regular poster ChocoKitty IS a patent attorney, and thus expert in such matter, I understand from her previous answers that while recipes themselves are not generally protected, their context or means of relating them could be.

As longf as you aren't selling it there shouldn't be any problem.

Usually it's just good manners to acknowledge the source of a recipe when refering to it on a discussion board.

SB (or so I recall)

Actually, the allrecipes recipe is slightly different from the one in the Silver Palate cookbook, so perhaps that's one way some people get around whatever rule there is.

Coincedentally, (maybe not according to other Fool boards, everything has a reason, LOL) - Sheila Lukins, the better half of the original Silver Palate duo, has modified the recipe herself somewhat and her new version appeared in yesterday's Parade magazine that comes with many Sunday newspapers.

MG
I had no idea we had a patent attorney on board. I know nothing of such things, but do recall from my bartending days (long ago in a galaxy far away) that drink recipes -- and by extension, I assume, all recipes -- are not copyrightable; if they were, only one bar could ever serve a Cosmopolitan. This explains why bars and restaurants are so chinchy about letting you have the recipe for stuff; for all they know, it will be on the menu in your restaurant down the street the next day.

scary
I know nothing of such things, but do recall from my bartending days (long ago in a galaxy far away) that drink recipes -- and by extension, I assume, all recipes -- are not copyrightable; if they were, only one bar could ever serve a Cosmopolitan.

That's not too scary! I always order whatever dark ale is on tap! If not available, I go for a Bud Light!

OleDoc (Not Cosmopolitan and easy to please...)
Yep, the recipe (that is, the actual formula, proportions for the ingredients, etc.) are not copyrightable. The way the recipe is presented (e.g., any creative expression in the text) is copyrightable, however. I've always advised people who wanted to protect their "secret recipe" to keep it as a trade secret. Heck, it's worked for Coca-Cola and KFC!

CK