Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Sim Chuck,

I am having difficulty following the chronology of events but one thing for certain is that Calif. law does not always follow federal law on conversions from a traditional IRA to a ROTH for "PART YEAR RESIDENTS".

In fact there might be a chance that a significant part of the gain may NOT be taxable in Calif. depending on your residency state at the time of conversion from the 401 K to the traditional IRA.

I suggest you obtain Calif. Franchise Tax Publ. 1005A
which deals addresses this subject.

Coto Pop
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.