No. of Recommendations: 0
I am starting a SIMPLE IRA and have to decide which fund(s) to start with. I've heard that a 'boring' fund like Dodge & Cox Balanced is a good starting fund, but others have told me that in this market I can be more aggressive with a heavy stock based growth fund (i.e. RPRCX). I am 29 years old, and I don't have any other investments set up. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Print the post Back To Top
Good for you starting a SIMPLE.

Dodge and Cox Balanced is a wonderful fund operated by one of the best actively managed mutual fund families.

Your asset allocation should not be based on what "others" tell you. That includes posts on internet message boards.

You should decide how much risk you can take. How much pain can you stand when you watch your hard earned money lose value? The neat thing about D&C Balanced is that it has some bond exposure which minimizes your volatility.

Remember you are responsible for funding your retirement. Start saving now. Don't worry about what other people say.

buzman
If you can move your money from one fund to another (not just change future contributions), then go with some nice and simple like the Dodge and Cox. Can you find something better -- probably particularly if you are looking in 2006 with 20/20 hind sight. Right now you are doing great to start saving and this is one where you won't loose your shirt -- One needs to resolve the "Investing Bodygap" before one gets to involved.

Bodygap -- the difference between knowing in your head stocks go down and accepting at a gut level the world is not ending.

Gordon
Atlanta